Chinese-Forums

Min nan dialogue with audio

LiYuanXi

• 7 years later...

Have you googled? Was this thread that died 8 years ago really the only thing you could find?

There are a decent number of resources out there for the variety spoken in Taiwan, but if you're looking for another variety I don't know.

I'm very much a beginner in 台語, but I like the "Harvard Taiwanese 101" book fairly well (despite the distinctly non-native English used throughout). The series put out by Maryknoll is also well-recommended and fairly standard material for teaching foreigners in Taiwan, despite the fact that it contains a lot of church-related vocabulary because of the nature of the organization. You could also look here for other resources.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a book the other day called "Spoken Hokkien" by Fang Meili that looks pretty good. I believe it's published by SOAS and was developed while Fang was teaching there. It teaches the Tainan variety of Taiwanese/Minnan. It won't take you very far but it does have some good dialogues and good quality, clear audio.

There's a bookstore in Taipei called 台灣e店 (Tâi oân e tiàm) that deals exclusively in books related to Taiwan, nothing on China. I've heard that some of the employees don't even like to speak Mandarin with customers and would prefer to speak English if you can't speak 台語, but when I was there recently the old man working spoke to me in Mandarin (heavily-accented, and he took every opportunity to tell me how to say in Taiwanese what I had just said in Mandarin). They have a really awesome selection of books on the language, both instructional and academic. If you're in Taiwan and looking for this sort of thing, stop by. Make sure to say lí hó when you go in, not nǐ hǎo.