Chinese-Forums

Transportation in Hangzhou

clar

• New Members

Hi all,

I'm planning to do an exchange to ZheJiang in 2012. I'm just wondering how much would the cost of the public transportation would be? Or is it a good idea to purchase a bike and just use the bike to travel around the city? And how much would that usually cost?

thanks!

Well, I don't know about Hangzhou specifically, but usually public transport in China is very cheap compared with western countries.

Perhaps someone who knows Hangzhou better can tell you specifically, but I estimate a bus ticket, irrespective of journey length (within the city) will cost 1 Yuan, or maybe 2 Yuan at the most.

Obviously taxis cost a fair bit more, but are nevertheless still cheap compared with the west. In Shanghai, the pick-up fee for a taxi is 12 Yuan. In Hangzhou it is probably less than that.

If you enjoy cycling, then getting a bike is also worth considering. Prices vary obviously depending on what make and model you want, but just a general purpose bike can be had for about 300 Yuan. However, traffic is quite disorderly in China compared with many other countries (you can search for road death statistics on the net), so you should also be aware of safety risks when you are deciding whether to cycle or not.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi I stay at hangzhou for many years.

It is not necessary to worry about this problem. There is very good public transportation system in Hangzhou. Shuttle buses normally cost RMB2.00 per time. Of course you could buy month tickets or apply for an electroic wallat if you will stay several months here. They will bring you favor and convenience.

Also we have public bycicles to rent. They are free withon an hour. More than it it is RMB1.00 per hour. You could find public bycicles all around the city. However when you rent the bycicles you have to put a deposit of rmb200.00. Once you are here you will learn the detail information about it.

Taxis is not popular here bcz the traffic in Hangzhou is terrible. We have traffic jam frequently. Sometimes you have to wait one hour for the taxi. Pick-up fee is rmb10 for 3kilometers.One kilo more rmb 2 will be charged.

Hope these information are helpful for you.

• 10 months later...