Chinese-Forums

Chengdu?

Tsunku

So I'm in the process of looking for a job for next term. I want to return to Kunming, but my job offers there don't pay terribly well. I don't really mind a skimpy standard of living, I managed alright in Kunming on 1300 RMB a month (plus apartment) before, but I have gotten some tempting offers in Chengdu, and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the city. More or less laid back than Kunming? How's the weather? Enough nightlife/entertainment to keep me busy?

I have other factors to consider as well (bf and other friends in Kunming being a big one), but I am curious about your impressions. Is Chengdu worth exploring further? I'm not really looking outside of SW China, it's my region of choice, but I'm trying to be flexible also. 8)

Chengdu would be my city of choice after Beijing. I don't know Kunming well enough to compare it with Chengdu, but in contrast with Beijing, Chengdu seemed (much) more laid back, very friendly people, great atmosphere. I wasn't there long enough to investigate the nightlife, but there seems to be a fair number of bars / cafes and nightclubs. Don't know about live music, though I'd guess it's there.

Roddy

• 3 months later...
Guest Mrs. Max Powers

I lived there for a year, and I wouldn't suggest it, mostly due to the pollution. The air quality is terrible. Several ex-pats moved to Kumming and Hainan because of it. It’s a big city. There’s a decent ex-pat community and a fair night life. There are a few bars that feature live (though sometimes questionable) music and stay open past one in the morning. The city is fairly large and somewhat spread out, so either budget 1/5 of your salary for taxies or learn to love city busses. There’s decent shopping (from silk suits to Saint Bernard’s), some major international supermarkets (Carrefour, Metro), and plenty of farmers’ markets on any side street. Chengdu is near E’mei Mountain and The Big Buddha (La Shan) . If you do move there you shouldn’t miss those. There used to be an English Language magazine there called Go West, but I think it went out of business right before I left. It was filled with wonderful information, I suggest you try to find them (or who might have replaced them).

Coincidently, I am considering Kumming for my next position, but I can’t find any open university positions. Know any?