Chinese-Forums

Where to study Chinese in Beijing (on a limited budget)?

sunyata

Hey. I am planning to go to Beijing next semester, but have not decided on a school yet...BLCU is good, BeiDa is not bad, Renmin Da is probably ok, but the tuition at those places is getting pretty steep nowadays...

Does anyone know of any private schools that provide a high level of instruction at a lower price? Also, is there any way to get an L visa 6-12 months without applying to a Chinese university or can private schools extend a standard 1-month tourist visa?

Global Village (地球村) is dirt cheap (12-15Y per hour). Quality of instruction seems to be varied - I found them much too 'traditional', though the mainly Korean and Japanese students seemed to be happy with it. I know other people have been happy with them though.

Diqiucun, and I'd guess any other private schools, will at the very least refer you to a visa agency which will sort you out at a price.

Roddy

As roddy mentioned, there is diqiucun and lots of schools like it in the Wudaokou area. the prices are all about the same. The advantage is if you have a bad teacher/teacher you don't like you can stop taking that class after the two week time and choose the same class with a different teacher or move to another school.

These schools are everywhere in Wudaokou: huaqingjiayuan has one, the building with the kentucky fried chicken has a new one, there is ECC near Xijiao Hotel. There are classes in Xijiao hotel. most of them let you take a trial course where you sit in the class to see if it's to your liking. Most of these schools can also arrange a longer term visa if you pay in advance. If I were you I'd try out a bunch of different schools when I got into beijing to see which one works best for you.

I was out in wudaokou a year ago. BLCU and Bei Da have the best teachers I have heard.

Bei Da - most expensive, but very good program

BLCU - most amount of westerners (you may just end up speaking english all the time)

Tsinghua - mostly koreans, some aussies (not too many n americans). I chose tsinghua mainly since there are less english speaking students and forced me to speak and practice chinese.

If you want to go cheap, yes Global village right next to the train stop is the best for your money. The teachers are awesome and you pay as you go so you can create your own schedule. It is a little crowded but it's also less expensive. However, they don't have housing or anything so it's up to you to find it.

The school at huaqingjiayuan is pretty good too - it's right above the mcdonalds.

Hope this helps. Beijing is a lot of fun - enjoy! I'll be out there for a few weeks in Jan.