Chinese-Forums

Quick Question with 嘲

牛juice

So I'm learning the symplified versions of Japanese kanji through Remembering the Hanzi, Symplified. It's a good book, particularly when switching between these langauges. I look up the tones and pronunciations of the characters through yellow bridge dictionary but I just discovered it has a list of pronunications on the back of the text. I looked at the first 50 which I just started that day and noticed that 嘲 was listed as "chao3" not "chao2" which I wrote down and memorised from YB. This was the only difference so far but is he wrong? Can 嘲 be pronounced "chao3"? (I thought it is the same as 朝...which technically has two but you know which one I mean ;) )

谢谢您们!

Your'e probably right in thinking that, I personally never heard it but I thought 谢谢你 sounded incomplete. (呵呵 >.<')

(But it seems you are studying Cantonese, right? Then the pronunciation would be completely different anyways. Thanks though. ^0^)

I have consulted a few Chinese dictionaries (both on-line and paper). The two pronunciations of 嘲 listed are without exception chao2 and zhao1.

Regarding 您們, my understanding is that 您 does not go with 們.

No I am not studying Cantonese. And 你 and 您 have the same pronunciation in Cantonese.

"And 你 and 您 have the same pronunciation in Cantonese. "

Interesting. :)

As each other in Cantonese. Not that the Cantonese pronunciation is the same as the Mandarin pronunciation. Not sure if that was clear to you.

"Not that the Cantonese pronunciation is the same as the Mandarin pronunciation."

I know that much. I watched a movie once in Cantonese and saw many words that sounded similar but diffent and words which I couldn't even recognize. :o

我們加油啊!