Chinese-Forums

BLCU -- need a bit info

molihua

Hi,

I need a bit of info about BLCU.

Does BLCU offer “Newspaper/Journal reading” and “Chinese Idioms/Proverbs” as part of its main course? If yes, in what *level are they given?

Or are these topics only offered as one of the electives? How much usually does one elective cost? is it for one semester?

I really wanna learn reading Chinese newspaper and Chinese idioms/proverbs.

I’ve checked the BLCU website at www.blcu.edu.cn/english/index.asp, but it cant really help me with this topic.

I know that in BeiWai, “Newspaper reading” is part of its main course for the Intermediate class, therefore I really wanna know if BLCU also does the same thing. For me, this can be a good point for my consideration in choosing between studying at BLCU or Beiwai.

Oh yeah, also wanna know, does the $1400 tuition fee include weekend excursions? if yes, to where? I heard that it only includes one free visit to Great Wall…, on the other hand, Beiwai has included some free excursions in its tuition fee.

Thanx a lot..

ps. *level --> what I mean by level here, is the Chinese class level (Beginner A, Beginner B, C, D, E, F) at BLCU.

BLCU has newspaper classes as part of the short term course from D level up. There is no course for learning roverbs that I am aware of. I'll leave that to someone else to answer. My hunch would be they don't have a course.

BLCU only has one excursion to the great wall. that's it. if you convince your teacher you might be able to get another excursion in there... .. :conf

BLCU is a great school. IF you wnat to study proverbs, etc, it is very easy to find a chinese tutor (most of the time it's free if you agree to teach them english in exchange - or you can pay as well).

As far as excursions - just go out and do it with some friends. Travelling in china is a lot of fun. Can be an interesting experience - it's very crowded so you need to be patient sometimes. But people are overall very friendly and accomodating.

• 2 weeks later...

>> BLCU is a great school. IF you wnat to study proverbs, etc, it is very easy to find a chinese tutor (most of the time it's free if you agree to teach them english in exchange - or you can pay as well). <<

I currently attend the school and disagree. My disappointment stems from a conscious decision the school has made regarding permissible class size. Last summer classes had about 10 students or so. This fall my class has 24 students. There are next to no speaking opportunities, on a good day I might speak two minutes out of about four hours. Many students are upset about this.

Nonetheless, tuition is 2-3x the cost of private schools per hour, and significantly more than just hiring a private tutor.

If you are not comfortable speaking ANY Chinese and would like to have your hand held while visiting China for the first time it might be a good idea to study there. If you cannot write any characters you probably want a university instructor to teach you. But from what I've seen, BCLU is in for-profit mode and doesn't give a damn about the quality of the education they're selling.

• 3 months later...

I've heard many good things about BLCU. I wanted to attend BLCU at the end of this month but the course is full. Does anyone have any advice on another school I can attend? I'd prefer to be in Beijing as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your help.

• 4 weeks later...
If you are not comfortable speaking ANY Chinese and would like to have your hand held while visiting China for the first time it might be a good idea to study there. If you cannot write any characters you probably want a university instructor to teach you. But from what I've seen, BCLU is in for-profit mode and doesn't give a damn about the quality of the education they're selling.

This opinion has sparked my interest.

I am starting to look at programs in China to learn Mandarin Chinese, and BCLU comes up as a suggestion very often... This is the first time I have heard a really negative opinion.

Are there others on the board who feel this way about BCLU?

For those that do, do you have any recommendations for other schools or programs which have a higher quality teaching method?

Two points about BLCU. They are trying to make money teaching Chinese to foreigners. (But they charge less than Beida and Tsinghua.)

Obviously, not everyone can have a good experience there, but generally it's teachers are better than other schools and they are certainly better than teachers at beida, tsinghua as a whole.

I've heard lots of good things about Beijing Capital Normal University, too. If you enter a private school there are always a few teachers that are really good, too. Just ask which teachers classes are always full.

• 8 months later...

I'm starting 5 week course at BLCU next week & need to withdraw some Yuan using my credit card.

Is there an office on campus I could do this at?

Is there an offie for foreign curreny exchange?

Thank you for your help!

Do you know your pin? if so, most of the cash machines around (including the airport) allow you to withdraw funds. I use a visa debit card as it means the money comes straight out of my account and hence there are no interest charges.

I hope you read this before you get there! If you are planning to draw out money for tuition you most likely will not be able to do it the same day - most banks place limits on amount of cash you can withdraw from an ATM in one day. I was only able to withdraw about 3,000 RMB per day but tuition in the summer was around 4,000RMB. I didn't realize this and ended up instead using my credit card and getting charged the 4% surcharge to use it. I would suggest either 1) withdraw for two days a in row (can be done on campus) or 2) withdraw some there but bring cash with you in advance, perhaps as travellers checks? Maybe other people have opinions on this. But I do know that I was pretty irritated I couldn't withdraw enough tuition money out in one day from the ATM.

Have fun - I really wish I was going to start next week but I have a full-time job and after taking two months off this summer to go they would probably fire me if I decided to go back again so soon :(

~Amanda