Chinese-Forums

Thoughts on Let the Bullets Fly (让子弹飞)

The World of Chinese

I finally saw this last weekend after all the buzz, and I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. Admittedly, I had some trouble following it at first, but as the story went on the language seemed to get simpler and I'm fairly certain I didn't miss any plot points.

I thought the whole thing felt really rushed, in ways that was unnecessary. And there were some scenes where the level of the special effects was well below what I would have expected for a blockbuster with this kind of star power (specifically, in the beginning when the train flips into the water, and the part where the guy is being kicked into a drum over and over again...both struck me as ridiculously CGI).

I always enjoy Ge You's performances, and I like Jiang Wen too, but this movie seemed like kind of a misstep to me. I'm not sure what the fuss is about....did anyone else see it?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it a couple weeks ago, but missed many twists in the convoluted plot. I also missed the humor in lots of the jokes. Not a criticism of the movie per se, it was just a function of my low language skills.

I commented on it before in the movie thread:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/27230-what-was-the-last-chinese-film-you-watched/page__st__80

I was disappointed by it after seeing all the great reviews. The story and acting were too exaggerated for a drama, so you had to enjoy as a comedy or satire, but the jokes were a bit too obvious to be funny. Most comments about the movie have centered on the political messages hidden in the movie. It is amusing how much got through the censors, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good movie.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • New Members

I actually just saw the movie last night and have to say that I really enjoyed it. As others have mentioned the movie is more of a satire than a drama, but much of the humor is inaccessible to basic mandarin speakers as a whole lot of it is demonstrated through chinese puns and allusions that poke fun at historical events and political movements in china for the past hundred years (which, as I understand, are hard for the vast majority of native speakers to understand as well). I luckilIy watched it with my chinese girlfriend so she was able to explain a few of these allusions that I didnt quite understand. All in all i thought it was rather entertaining. I really liked Chow yun-fat's character. He had me rolling in the majority of scenes he was in (“我带了三件事,第一是公平,第二是公平,第三还是他妈的公平!” “什么叫惊喜") and although the action was a little ridiculous at some points, like in many chinese action movies, it was definitely a fun, intelligent film.

So much of this movie went right over my head. This will be a good Chinese benchmark for me, I think (kind of like 武林外传). I'll try to watch it in a couple years and see if it makes any more sense.

"第一是公平..." - was that Chow Yun Fat or Jiang Wen? I thought all three actors (them two plus Ge you) were great, but I liked Jiang Wen the best.

I've watched it several times in bits and peaces a couple of months ago. I agree with the disappointing special effects. Specially the train at the opening of the movie. I've no clue about hidden messages. I had trouble enough (read: was unable) to take in the surface layer.

I think however it's a great movie for students. In general the dialogs are easy. My subtitle file contains only 1190 different characters that are combined to less than 2000 words. Only just over 800 characters occur more than once and give almost 98% coverage. Most of the dialogs are spoken at a reasonable rate and I pitched it a bit further down by playing it at 70-80% speed. (further downpitching gives annoying deformation). Compared to other movies I've seen it's mostly spoken pretty clear.

Because of this thread I tried to watch it again yesterday. I fell asleep early on in the movie. I saw however enough to boost my motivation. Despite having the impression that I'm stuck, from the movie I must conclude that I improved a fair bit since the last time I watched it.

I recently bought the book the movie was based on and plan to read it once I finish reading my current book. Watching the movie it felt like the plot just jumped around in many places without much of an explanation, so hopefully the book will fill in some of those details.

For those interested, the book is called 夜谭十记.

• 1 month later...