Chinese-Forums

drinking water in china

ocpaul20

• 2 weeks later...
Not really, because the beer is being made from large quantities of water. Perhaps we should all start using RO filters on our beers

I have to wonder as to whither there would be anything left in the beer worth drinking?

In East Jiangsu things have gotten so bad that they had to shut of the water for like 200,000 people because their was so much ammonia,

Check it out in this article

I find it interesting as it comes at the same time as Shanghai fish conservationists let out several thousand fish, crabs and Jelly fish into the Sea near Shanghai, and near East Jiangsu. It was on CCTV9 did anyone else see it.

I wondered if it was also related to the curbs on tainted fish with antibiotics that was enacted in the US recently?

Have fun,

SimoN:)

You can drink Beijing's tap water again!!! There's absolutely no reason to believe that it would make you sicker than bottled water!

According to that article, not only won't it make you any sicker, but there is reason to believe that Beijing's water straight from the tap is actually safer than its faked bottled counterpart.

The bottles aren’t sterilized and the number of mold fungi and e. coli bacteria that have been found in such water can easily make drinkers sick.

The only thing that surprised me about the article was its title:

Now it's Fake Water

If they can fake rolex watches and complex gadgets that most people can't tell apart (until they stop working), how hard could it be to fake a bottle of water.

Truth to be told, I've shaken bottles of water in NYC to find stuff floating around in them, so I think the fakes in China are highly competitive, if not outright superior, due to their greater depth of experience with making a "copy" (as they prefer to call it) of everything that can be bought and sold, including the money you use to buy and sell it.

• 1 year later...

Now my other concern is whether those huge plastic containers are BPA-free (bisphenol A free). As they are recycled so if they are not BPA-free then it's harmful as BPA can leak into the water due to scratches and wear/tear. I could not find the info regarding Nestle's plastic quality. Hopefully someone who works in Nestle or has reliable sources has the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Beijing tap water is pretty good and I've never felt sick. We also get a large jug of water delivered to our apartment every 10 days. That tastes better than the Beijing tap water, but I'm not sure how regulated or safe the water is. The thoughts about BPA are also not good :(

Do a search on cancer in China, and you'll see that stomach cancer is one of the biggest killers (second only to lung cancer), and the polluted water is largely to blame. I don't really think the problems with water in China are such that there will be immediate repurcussions to one's health. Seems to be that it's more of a slow poisoning process that results in things like stomach cancer, and not quick death.

Check this article out, if you have the stomach for it: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0509-02.htm

• 5 months later...

I haven't read the whole article, mainly as I just can't bring myself to, but watch out for heavy metal pollution from . . . ah, you think you're safe, don't you . . because you're not drinking tap water . . because you've got the big bottles of purified water and the water dispenser . . . HA, it's the water dispensers this time. GOTCHA!

I swear, sometimes I think there's an entire government department dedicated to finding new ways to endanger people's health.

• 2 years later...

Just curious if anyone cares to share about the Water Quality experiences in June, 2011 since this post was from back in 2004.

Here in the US, there are a lot of companies that sell very expensive "alkaline ionized water" machines.

Maybe there are some popular Chinese water filtering systems ?

The large 5 gallon water bottle and hot/cold water dispensers have been around for at least 25 years here with

Sparkletts water being a famous brand.

Seems that the bottled water in China that is sold everywhere might not be of the best quality ?

Thanks, LA Guy

• 1 month later...

My parents in law boil it in kettles then pour it into flasks. It was one of the things I liked best about coming back to the UK after my holidays in China - taking a drink from the tap again.

Imgaine how much energy must be used boiling water every day in China so it can be drunk as it is deemed not clean in the first place.