Chinese-Forums

Holiday Travel in Yunnan

abcdefg

There were recent questions in this section as to whether Yunnan "tourist trail" places would be packed or not during Spring Festival holiday.

Yesterday I went with a commercial tour group to Jiuxiang 九乡, spectacular karst caves a couple hours outside Kunming. I thought since it was a "minor" destination, often skipped by those with limited time in favor of "major" destinations like Shilin, Dali, Lijiang, and Xishuangbanna, it might not be too full.

Wrong! The place was shoulder to shoulder with jostling, shoving Chinese tourists, many from places where the weather is cold and awful just now.

Still had a good time, but isolated and idyllic it was not. Would describe it as being more along the lines of a “two and a half hour stampede.”

post-20301-065955800 1296789793_thumb.jpg

Oh, ah, well I had been thinking of going there in the summer time. Just as bad?

Still worthwhile and very doable. Just expect crowds when school is out as well as on national holidays.