Chinese-Forums

BLCU 2011

jpl_89

By the way @Ayanchin I think it's best to do it now or two weeks from now to at least secure your accommodation in China. You can avail of a five month discount and leave just at the start of break. I believe we have 19 weeks of school (1 short of the five months required for some discounts?).

@nubcakes You can go to Building no. 2 for dorm reservations, if you want a single bedroom I suggest Dorms 6, 7, or 8 :) Most Filipinos who are going to continue for another sem this Sept will stay in Dorm 17. If you want to stay in a hotel for a few days, Xijiao Hotel is the nearest one our school. You can check agoda.com and reserve there

Btw, I'm Katmae Joson from the Philippines also. I'll be having my second semester in BLCU this Sept. I took the Intensive Course.

Hey Katmae! Are you a scholar too? :D I wanna find out if I can upgrade to a better dorm and simply pay the difference in the upgrade. I'm willing to pay though if that's not allowed. When are you going to Beijing? Also, do the people at the housing center (normal dorms) know how to speak English? I don't know how to say that I want to upgrade my dorm in Chinese.

Also guys can I just ask: The Chinese Embassy in the Philippines took my original JW201 form for the student visa application. I was only sent one copy. Do I need the original to register at BLCU? Will the embassy return it to me? Did this happen to you guys? :(

@nubcakes, what's your e-maill address? I'll e-mail you some details.

About the JW Visa, the embassy needs the original copy and as far as I know and based on my experience, only the original copy of the ADMISSION NOTICE sent to you by BLCU is the most important thing you have to bring. You need it for the dorm reservation and enrollment.

I'm not sure. I know that you should bring it to a police station in China, after you have registered at the BLCU. They might not accept a copy. Can you go to the embassy and tell them that you have made a mistake by giving them the original instead of the copy? Offer them the copy and tell them that the you might need to bring the original at a police station in China.

When I applied for a visa, I gave them the originals(admission notice and jw201). However, the person who took my documents noticed that they were originals, copied them himself and gave the originals back to me.

Good luck!

nubcakes, same as Angelina. When I went for the visa, they only saw my admission notice and JW202 form in original, verified that they were indeed genuine and accepted the photocopies. I think you will be able to get your original form back. Have you got your visa yet?

To Katmae and other existing students: Can you tell us freshers something about the placement test? What kind of questions should I expect for my D level class placement test? What are the questions, in general?

And just BTW, I booked my dorm sometime ago. Wrote a blog entry about it

http://prateekshahastogotobeijing.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/dorm-booking-at-blcu/

Might be helpful to some :)

@prateeksha, I'm not sure about the placement test for D level but they said its like HSK but of course not as hard as the real HSK you will take at the end of the semester. Last sem I think only one student from the Intensive Department passed the HSK exam, and she's from D Class.

Last sem, my placement test was like this... This is for beginners, zero Mandarin. They let me read some pinyins, chinese charcters and the last part was the question and answer portion. With that they will decide on which level you belong. But you can still choose your own level if you find it too easy or hard for you. My placement test result was A regular but I told them I want to be in the lowest level so i can perfect my shengdiao/tones and they allowed me. I took the intensive course last semester, 30 hrs per week.

Katmae, I did NOT submit my original JW202 at the visa consulate. They just took a look at it and returned it to me, they only kept a photocopy. And I suppose Angelina is saying the same too.

Thank you so much for the insight. Actually, I have studied Chinese for 2 years in India. My vocabulary is around 2500, but spoken is nowhere near. So I am pretty much confused as to which level should I take.

Okay so I emailed the school and they said that you could use a photocopy for registration. I'm still not sure about the residence permit (waiting for them to reply to that).

Apparently (and this is for the Chinese Embassy in the Philippines) we're supposed to receive two copies of the JW201 admission form (one white, one yellow). The embassy keeps one copy for themselves and returns the other copy. It's so confusing though. It seems like there are different procedures for the different embassies. There was a guy in another thread who was asking if he could take his medical in China. Our embassy requires the medical before the application. :-s

Thanks for all your help guys. I just hope they'll grant me the residency permit when I arrive with a photocopy. :)

http://www.bjgaj.gov.cn/eng/contentAction.do?methodname=getArticleContentWsgs&id=234896

Actually if I read that notice correctly X visa people are okay? It says 6. “Admission Confirmation” by the enrolling school together with JW201 or JW202 form for foreign citizens who have entered China on an L or F visa. Perhaps the X visa means they already confirmed the form's validity? Argh I wish for clarity.