Chinese-Forums

BLCU 2011

jpl_89

Hello everyone,

I have received a CSC scholarship and my university (Central Conservatory of Music) require me to study at the Beijing Language and Culture University from September 2011 - July 2012. The thing is, I didn't know I would have to leave so suddenly! I had planned to work a bit and then leave for China next year (the Japanese scholarship I applied for also begins in April). Does anybody happen to know if it is possible to study at BLCU online as a scholarship student?

Thanks!

Sorry but one other thing - I have not received a letter of admission from BLCU yet - does anyone know if I should have, if I am only studying there before beginning my music studies? I only have the letter from the Central Conservatory of Music telling me that I will need to study at BLCU, and BLCU have not replied to my emails.

Contact your school or the Chinese embassy for your Admission Notice and JW201 (visa application form). With those documents you should apply for a student visa (X visa = more than 6 months, F visa = less than 6 months). I think you need an X visa here's a link for info but you can search the web for your country-specific Chinese embassy: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84243.htm

You'll need the documents to apply at your school too. I don't think you can take online classes though? Maybe depends on the type of scholarship or course you applied for? Goodluck.

• Like 2

Thanks nubcakes,

The music college told me they think I can study Chinese from home first for a year and then start the scholarship with them in 2012. So I'm waiting to find out 100%, don't want to make a mistake and lost the scholarship!

• New Members

Hello ALL..

I am from Indoenesia but have been living in overseas for a long time that I can't speak the language fluently....LOL.. I applied for a one year program at BLCU. well I am excited to be able to go to Beijing and meet new friends there. Please treat me well guys.

Anw, I need help...I decided to come to BLCU 1 month ago and luckily they accepted my applications....so now I really have no idea where I am going to stay when I reach Beijing. I will kinda be homeless now and I am arriving on the

3rd Sept...

This is a very rushing decision that I made and I know it.. LOL

well my life have been kinda spontaneous most of the time so treat me well and lets have fun in Beijing

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! :)

Anybody here aware of an Inner Mongolia tour arranged by the school? i know couple of students who will be joining the tour next week. I think they will be back on Wednesday. I got few details; I only read it in Facebook.

Where/who should we ask for tour announcements/notices? I checked the website they gave in the handbook, but it's an error page.

Thanks! :)

-------

The school did not arrange the tour..but, there is a travel agency located at the 9th Flr of the Conference Center that arranges tours.

Just happened to find this forum while searching for things to do in wudaokou.

I'm also a complete beginner attending at BLCU for the 1 year long term program like a few others here. Hello! My name's Lawrence and I'm from America, I'm 20 years old and taking a break from my original college, Cal State University of Fullerton. from what I can tell there's not too much traffic going on in this part of the forum right now but I figured this would be the spot to make my first post. Da Jia Hao! Normally I'm in the main building, Room 619 liu yao jiu, 8:30-12:30 m-f, but since right now everyone's on "national day/golden week" holiday we don't have class. But we start class again on saturday? What a buzzkill. Come by room 619 during your break and look for a "Lao Lun Si".. my given chinese name.. I won't guarantee I'll be there but all of our classmates are really friendly! In fact, everyone at BLCU is really friendly.

@aizjev: I heard about that tour, and I think one of my norwegian friends is going on that trip. Mm I have a hard enough time finding the right place with the minimal vocabulary I have but I think I did see a desk about school tours in the International Accommodations Building right behind the run run shaw building. Hope it helps. Also a classmate and I might plan a trip of our own just around Beijing for a few days.. I dont know the details since he's planning it but I think we're going to leave wednesday. Anyone's welcome to come along.. as long as you're not crazy..

Did anyone go to the police station after getting your passport back/visa extended? Just want to know what I'm supposed to bring before I go to the station and what I have to do when I get there. Thanks in advance.

So far... I feel like I've already been here a long time when it's been 1 month and yet 11 months doesn't seem enough.

Has anyone had experience with the different internet providers on campus?

I only know of Cernet and ChinaUnicom. I'm using Cernet right now and the connection is pretty slow. Has anyone paid for faster service? I'm considering switching to China Unicom just to try it out since my cernet account should be out of hours soon. If anyone could provide some useful information about that it would be greatly appreciated!

• New Members

hi! just wanted to drop by to ask for some suggestions or rather, persuasion. i'm thinking about applying for the winter 5 weeks language program at BLCU but i hesitate every time i try filling out the application. i guess what i'm worried about most is housing. has anyone done the 5 weeks program before? are there available rooms in the dorms? i've read a lot about how the room are not guaranteed but it's based on availability only. is this something i should be worried about? also, i want to do this program to improve on my chinese. my chinese level is ok, intermediate i would say. i can read a lot better than i write; and understand better than i speak. so i guess i'm hoping to improve my writing and speaking skills. do you guys think i should go or would it be a waist of money and time?

• 4 weeks later...

@aizjev I believe most of the school trips are organised in the Rickshaw building, opposite the south wing of Building 1. Try going to the office on the second floor and asking around. It was certainly there that the day trip to the Great Wall was organised and where you went to sign up. It's worth a try.

@SaiChe I wasn't even aware you could get a ChinaUnicom internet service on campus. Are you sure?

With regards to registering at the police station, I'm pretty sure that's only for people living off campus.

@CiCi_712 Any time spent at BLCU will not be a waste provided you are committed to learning whilst there and take advantage of the rich environment for Chinese learners. Housing is rightly a big concern for a lot of people and it's something to be taken seriously. I would certainly not recommend turning up without have a place booked. Especially if you're going to go over winter, there will still be other semesters going on, albeit the last few weeks of them.

You have a few options: either contact the housing on campus yourself and try to book a room in one of the dorms using your Chinese, OR, consider applying through an immersion programme that should take care of room bookings for you (although I don't know the ins and outs of it - perhaps contact them first and find out exactly how much support they offer in this area). Some you can check out are:

http://blcu.org/

http://blcu-china.org/

http://school.cucas....cn/HomePage/17/

Good luck and get back to me if you have any more questions. BLCU is a fantastic experience and everyone should take the opportunity to go whilst they can.

The BLCU Blog, SaiChe - I am using China Unicom in BLCU. The service is pretty good. Although since my roommate and I share the "wi-fi" connection, our floor is full of a tangles mess of wires. Well, that is the wireless service they give. Apart from that, we two give 150 per month and the speed is pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

@The BLCU Blog- thanks, i applied :) i'm starting in December. but like my concern from before, the housing staffs are not very helpful. they would not book me a room :( i've tried several times but still they were quite stubborn about it. i think i'm gonna give it a break for awhile before calling back even though i'm suppose to be leaving real so. any suggestions? tips? this is my first time away from home and traveling alone, so i'm really nervous and quite scared. oh and i wanted to ask if you know if pepper spray is legal in china...can i bring it into the country or will i have a problem with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I am brazilian and I am going to take the Chinese Language Program which starts in Feb., 27. I am a complete beginner in Mandarin and I am planning to stay for one year or more.

I am not a good english spearker also, and that's why I am a little bit nervous about these adventure. Fell free to send me a message or facebook me!

Who is already in Beijing? Is everything going well? Please, send me some news :)

Ps: Tem algum brasileiro indo? Ou alguém que fale português?

Hey people, I will be there as well starting Feb 27th. I will be staying for one semester and looking forward to meeting everyone and experiencing China. I was also hoping to stay in Dorm 17, so I was wondering if arriving one month in advance would be sufficient in order to book a room there? and as stated above, feel free to message or facebook me regarding anything. Thank you.