Chinese-Forums

Online Chinese comics?

davesgonechina

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one, though I don't know what kind of comic you're into: http://www.vlifestyle.com/ecomics/fengyun/index.cfm?home=sg〈=en

This is "Feng Yun" (Cantonese Fung Wan); excellent fantasy martial arts comic by Ma Rong Cheng (Ma Wing Shing.) His artwork is downright beautiful; his and work like his are the only comics I enjoy :clap

• 6 months later...

Excellent to hear from you Peng - there's a thread around here somewhere from when your comics were on the old site, with lots of disappointment from when the site went dead. It's really cool to see your stuff back on line (and if the forums can ever afford an official cartoonist, you're first in line :mrgreen: )

Roddy

• 5 years later...

Here's a nice article on the subject...er, sort of. It's about Chinese manga.

Wikipedia's entry on mànhuà might also be of interest to you.

To be blunt, most comics/animation out of China are of third world quality. Most anime from Japan is unbearable, but the Chinese take it to a whole new level. I hope the day will come when the PRC gives JP a run for its money in terms of quality products (cars, cameras, clothing, anime, you name it). But the whole "use once and destroy" culture will first need to be replaced by "quality over quantity" culture. I don't exactly see that happening next week. And in terms of art/entertainment, the communist overlords in Beijing will be sure to keep that suppressed and keep themselves in the dark ages.

Well, off to watch a paused episode of Great Teacher Onizuka, actually. If you find anything that's totally badass that uses spoken Mandarin and/or traditional characters, let me know.

Unfortunately, I agree with what across said. Most comics from the mainland are not very good. But if you want to read comics in Chinese, you certainly do not need to settle for comics made by mainland artists. You can instead read comics from Hong Kong or foreign comics translated into Chinese. Take a look at the Grand Comics Reading Project, hosted right here on this site.

IMO, the best online comics portal is dm5.com.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Taiwan has a moderate selection of comic artists of fine quality.

Comicomi is a website for free online comics. I recommend artists such as VOFAN, SALLY, and BARZ.

Here's a webcomic blog, updated daily:

RIVER's 543

http://blog.sina.com.tw/13614/

It's not too bad, although you might find the jokes a bit weird.

And this author uploaded few of his short Manga works on his bog:

http://album.blog.yam.com/ss90446

It's nice, but apparently not updated regularly.

For offline comics, 曾正忠 and 蔡志忠 are greatest Taiwanese comic artists I know so far. And they are among the few Taiwan comic artists that don't actually draw "Manga style."

I've heard that there are some good HK comics, notably 火鳳燎原(The Ravages of Time).