Chinese-Forums

cantonese writing translation question

Oliv3rP

• New Members

Hi, I don't speak Cantonese in the slightest but I lived in Hong Kong when I was little and so I was wondering if someone could translate a couple things for me

I was using google translate and I curious to see how accurate it is so firstly if somebody could translate the following in:

Chinese Traditional - 奧利弗

and also

Chinese Simplified - 奥利弗

I'm not going to say what it is because it's the internet and surely somebody would just say it's what I think it is, even if it's wrong and then can somebody translate it into Cantonese writing please

thanks very much :)

It is (both the traditional and simplified) a transliteration for Oliver (guess it is your name). It is written in Chinese, not in Cantonese (you may wish to google a bit to find out more about the Chinese writing system in relation to Chinese dialects such as Cantonese).

• Like 1

• New Members

yep, thats what i thought it was, but i was just using google translator and it hasn't always been totally accurate so i'm glad about that, but i know that although in hong kong they speak cantonese, they learn to read and write in chinese, but i was reading that banners and in politics they do some writing in cantonese so i was wondering if my name could be translated into cantonese, but if not then hey ho!