Chinese-Forums

best for reading and writing

taoster

Hi, I am a australian chinese that can converse but not read or write in chinese. I am hoping to learn to read and write in Beijing but am unsure the best way to achieve this. I've already contacted BLCU regarding classes, it would seem their emphesis is on conversation which I am not too keen on.

Can anyone suggest other alternatives? is it possible to go to Beijing on tourist visa and then enrol in one of the language centers(BIT?) and maybe change to a student visa?

advice much needed! thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I think your needs are so specific that it might be difficult to find a suitable course - I'd imagine most people are more worried about improving their speaking, rather than reading / writing.

You might be able to negotiate a deal where you only attend the reading / writing part of the course, or find a school where you can attend a higher level speaking class and a low level reading/writing class.

Roddy

If you're an overseas Chinese, then there are programs in China that are specifically geared towards teaching to overseas Chinese that might suit your needs. At my university in America Chinese-American students commonly need a lot more improvement in reading and writing than anything else. My school has special classes geared towards these students which move at a faster pace and concentrate on the written language. They have something like this in Kunming (which means they probably have it elsewhere too), here is a link to the website for the Kunming program, just to give you an idea: http://www.yocec.net.cn/english/xxjj.htm

Like Roddy said, you might have a hard time finding a course that specifically focuses on reading and writing. Many of the courses in China do tend to be more conversation oriented. If the above isn't an option, self study or hiring a private tutor might be your best bet.