Chinese-Forums

Advice needed. Studying in UK.

dagnai

Hello! I received unconditional offers from these universities. I still don't know which uni I should go for... Trent is better in rankings, but its Global Studies with Chinese seems to not be as good as business-related degree.

Guardian uni ranking: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table

Uni of Central Lancashire: Business Management in China.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/information/courses/ba_honours_business_management_in_china.php

Nottingham Trent: Global Studies with Chinese.

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/pss/course_finder/94688-1/2/BA_(Hons)_Global_Studies_Joint_Honours_.aspx#course

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/pss/course_finder/94224-1/2/BA_(Hons)_Chinese_(Mandarin)_Joint_Honours.aspx

At Nottingham Trent Chinese is available within joint hours with:

French (RT11)

German (RT21)

Global Studies (TL19)

International Relations (L2T1)

Italian (RT31)

Spanish (RT41)

<there's no business option..>

Guys, please write something - what about future after Global Studies with Chinese? for now I feel that it would be better for me to study something business-related... so I can get normal, not teaching-job in china afterwards...

Hi,

I'm going to jump in and hopefully get the ball rolling.I'm only speaking as a UK grad some years down the line who's read tons of careers stuff (but isn't much good at figuring out her own life :)

Don't take the rankings to much to heart- they fluctuate yearly. Subject related rankings can be a bit more helpful in giving a rough idea of who employers will prefer.

A 'studies' programme- say Educational Studies, or Latin American Studies are very broad but sort of lack the depth of say doing a psychology or philosophy or Spanish degree. I loved my Educational Studies degree and to this day I still come back to what I learned then, but it isn't seen as well by employers as English Lit or History. Stuff them- I enjoyed it and learned to think for myself.

However, if UK employability is important to you as a failsafe, a named business degree has to be the way to go. If you're happy just thinking towards some tefl postgrad and no futher for now, then by all means go for the Global Studies if the mix of courses feels good to you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

I have never heard of Trent or Lancashire (Trent -- isn't that what you sleep in while camping? Lancashire -- isn't that a type of cheese? Or is that the cat in Alice in Wonderland?). But have you visited both places and seen for yourself which place is seems more appropriate for you?

Lancashire -- isn't that a type of cheese?

And why do you think the cheese might be named Lancashire?

Here are some other British cheeses:

Berkswell

Bonchester

Brinkburn

Caithness

Caerphilly

Cheddar

Cheshire

Chevington

Coquetdale

Cornish Pepper

Cotherstone

Cotswold

Coverdale

Croglin

Derby

Double Gloucester

Goosnargh Gold

Dorstone

Dovedale

Dunlop Cheese

Fine Fettle Yorkshire

Harlech

Hereford Hop

Ilchester

Isle of Mull

Lincolnshire Poacher

Kidderton Ash

Red Leicester

Red Windsor

Sage Derby

Single Gloucester

Stilton

Sussex

Swaledale

Teviotdale

Tintern

Waterloo

Wensleydale

Whitehaven

Wiltshire Loaf

Notice any pattern emerging with the names?

Hello! I received unconditional offers from these universities. I still don't know which uni I should go for... Trent is better in rankings, but its Global Studies with Chinese seems to not be as good as business-related degree.

Guardian uni ranking: http://www.guardian....ty-league-table

Uni of Central Lancashire: Business Management in China.

http://www.uclan.ac....nt_in_china.php

Nottingham Trent: Global Studies with Chinese.

http://www.ntu.ac.uk...88-1/2/BA_(Hons)_Global_Studies_Joint_Honours_.aspx#course

http://www.ntu.ac.uk...24-1/2/BA_(Hons)_Chinese_(Mandarin)_Joint_Honours.aspx

At Nottingham Trent Chinese is available within joint hours with:

French (RT11)

German (RT21)

Global Studies (TL19)

International Relations (L2T1)

Italian (RT31)

Spanish (RT41)

<there's no business option..>

Guys, please write something - what about future after Global Studies with Chinese? for now I feel that it would be better for me to study something business-related... so I can get normal, not teaching-job in china afterwards...

I'd give you the same advice that Liebkuchen did; Trent is the better uni, but the Global Studies program you're looking at seems less marketable than Lancashire's Business Management degree.

It all depends on what you plan to do in the future; if you plan on working as an English teacher in China or as an journalist/lecturer in the UK, then you should take Trent's program. If you plan on doing a business related job, then take Lancashire's program. Both programs offer a solid foundation in Chinese, so either way you will have fantastic opportunities after you graduate. Good luck!

From an employer's perspective I would be looking for languages combined with a practical subject which would be applicable to the job, ie it is not enough just to be able to speak another language or two or even three. If you must combine two languages you could choose Russian and Chinese with another subject such as business studies. I have found business partners from those two countries often do not speak English. For Spanish this is also partly true, but there may be a lot more applicants that are able to speak Spanish. Consider dropping one language after year one if that is possible.

I do not know much about Trent and Lancashire but when I did my language degree these unis did not have an excellent reputation for language studies. As an employer I would ask you why you chose a particular university. You could check the lecturers and see how prolific their paper writing is and also where their papers are placed. That might give you an indication of the quality of their research in comparison to other unis.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a little late now, but dependant on your family's ability to pay your course fees and living costs, I would have recommended Glasgow University or Strathclyde.

Glasgow is a significantly cheaper place to live for students, but large enough to have plenty of Chinese associations, clubs and social groups.

Perhaps a useful suggestion for the next person reading this topic however.

Hi,

Just a quick note: it was the Cheshire cat in Alice in wonderland. I am not familiar with the various universities you mentioned, but remember the further north you go the colder it gets but cheaper, stay in the south for warmer weather but more expensive living costs. the difference is mainly in rent and food. But if you are in student digs and eat cheap it doen't really make all that much difference. If you know what job you want when you finish find out what they require subject wise and do those at what ever uni offers the best combo. Good luck in what ever you choose. Shelley

P.S Southampton has a very large chinese community and 2 very good uni's to choose from, also with large chinese student population.