Chinese-Forums

Streaming Chinese TV

Findus

Hello everyone, I am new here. Glad to join you on this forum, I have been lurking for a couple of months.

I was just wondering if there is any services you can pay to access high-quality, fast Chinese TV? I have done alot of searching on google that has yielded no results. I could see myself paying for such a service if it would exist! I think watching TV is great practice for any language.

Thank you very much for your help.

再见!

• Like 1

This doesn't really answer your question but most Chinese TV shows can be watched on-demand and for free on China's video-sharing websites (Tudou, Youku, etc.). For many popular shows (including dramas, talk shows, news programs, etc.), the episodes are uploaded pretty much as soon as they are broadcast and the websites will even have full seasons. More and more shows are available in HD quality now as the sites formally arrange distribution deals with the content owners.

...this also doesn't really answer your question but I use a couple of applications rather then above websites. You might want to try them out (also free)...

PPS Stream

Funshion

*EDIT - Please be aware that Funshion does install some additional software/addware. Not sure about PPS Stream.

Thank you for all your help, everyone. I really appreciate your help. The thing is, that if I can just stream the channel directly, I won't have to know what show I want to watch. The ideal thing, for me, would be to just watch lots of random stuff (news, movies, sports, etc.) just to see and listen. I probably won't understand much, but that doesn't mean I won't pick up a thing or two!..

fanglu: I tried doing that, but CCTV seems to have a region restriction; that means I can't watch it (I'm not in China). Is there any workaround for this?

• Like 1

Yes, I downloaded the plug-in. The streaming doesn't work in Firefox for me, I had to use IE. Some channels doesn't work at all (region-locked), like CCTV-6. CCTV-1 works fine for me though, so I'm not sure what the problem is? Thanks for the tip either way.

• 10 months later...

Dopool is free, although not the highest quality, but it's looking like it's only for mobile devices. (You could get an HDMi cable and hook it up to your TV, I guess.)

If you're in America you can probably get a Chinese package from DirecTV or DISH, maybe even Comcast, but you'll probably have to pay upwards of $80 a month EXTRA.

Dopool is the best I've found for mobile streaming, unless someone knows something better. It's a year later, so does anyone know any more since then? This is the only topic I found through search, so I guess it's okay to revive it since the question hasn't been answered yet.

• 2 months later...

Phoenix TV comes with the standard SKY package in the UK allowing you to get 24/7 Chinese. There is even a Chinese language program at the weekends. Channel 785.

I don't get a chance to watch TV anymore as it is either the daugher watching her childrens programs or the wife watching 785.

These days I've been watching a program called 时事辩论会 on Phoenix TV, I think it's pretty good. It's like a really serious 锵锵三人行, with ultra-nationalistic netizens sending their opinions in real time on top of it. They discuss a lot of geopolitical stuff. You can catch it on youtube on that awesome channel that has a lot of Phoenix TV shows : http://www.youtube.c...oldenCarpTavern. Dunno at what time it airs on the actual TV.

Ah ah I just realized the guy has a ton of other channels, some of them are pure gold. this one http://www.youtube.c...ser/PandaTavern has tons and tons of shows from what seems to be the chinese cooking channel, with subtitles and everything! I'm going to use this so much! That guy has at least 10 or fifteen channels, he must uploads 30 videos a day, and most of them have about 20 views. I have no idea why he goes through all that work but I know I'm grateful for it!

• 4 weeks later...