Chinese-Forums

Advice on Ethics issue

Chinabound

The school I am currently employed with had a foreign teacher leave in mid contract and mid term. Before the new term started this teacher was trying to come back to the school to teach. When they were ignored by the person in charge of the school, the teacher went and contacted a student at one of the public schools that the private school had a contract with to supply a foreign teacher with, this student was the Headmaster's daughter at the school. Now, I know that back in the States and many other countries, if a teacher had contact with students outside of the classroom that it was ethically wrong. And since coming back to the school the teacher seems to be using this to pick and choose what classes and school they want to teach at making it harder on the other foreign teachers at the school. My question for everyone, is how should I personally handle this with the person in charge of the school? From everything that I have heard about this teacher, he plays games like Hide and seek with the children and gives them candy so that they like him. Or should I just avoid the issue and stay away from the teacher?

Thanks Steve

If I read correctly, you're annoyed because the other teacher is being an arse and cherry-picking the classes. Fair enough. I'd say all you can do is speak to whoever is in charge and point out that you're not happy about it - you don't need to complain about the guy himself, or threaten to leave - they know what's happening, and they know that teachers who aren't happy are more likely to leave.

If things get better, great. If they don't, decide if it's worth quitting over. China does not lack teaching jobs, and you're obviously capable of getting them.

he plays games like Hide and seek with the children and gives them candy so that they like him.

And the problem with this is? [Obviously too much candy is an issue, or if someone is allergic. But beyond that?] You are complaining because another teacher is making school fun for the kids?

I know that back in the States and many other countries, if a teacher had contact with students outside of the classroom that it was ethically wrong.

Really? [i assume you don't mean sexual contact, which is a legal issue as well.] One is not allowed to see students outside the classroom?

These are primary school children that he is in contact with outside of the school. And the ethics issue is the fact that in the States if a teacher has contact with a student outside of the class room or school or uses influence of that child to gain favor with a certain school is wrong and would cause that teacher to be dismissed. as far as the games go, I do not mind games when they can teach English, but a game like Hide and seek has no value for teaching English as a language.

I do not mind games when they can teach English, but a game like Hide and seek has no value for teaching English as a language.

Frankly, I don't see that it is your business to comment on how other teachers run their class. If that teacher is not teaching well, that's up to the school to determine. Don't be such a 管閒事 (did I use that correctly?).

• Like 2

For one if i am not talking about your teaching habits then you should stick to the topic. And two, show me where Hide and seek is a game that teaches the English Language? Besides any good teacher or parent will tell you that giving children candy all the time is a bad idea because they will expect it all the time. Plus a teacher would only need to use candy to keep a child's attention like that to hide the fact that they do not know how to teach. I asked the ethics question because i care about the students that I do teach being able to learn English well. And, I felt that the issue would cause problems in the school especially since all the foreign teachers at the school feel the same way that I do about this one teacher and his methods. And when this teacher left in mid term back in November, the teacher who had to replace him had to basically go into a school where the students expected to get candy everyday from them. And Jbradfor, anyone with any ESL experience will tell you that games in a class should incorporate some kind of language in it. Tell me what can a child learn about the English language from Hide and Seek? Also, if you do not like my comments, you do not have to reply! And as far as what you wrote in Chinese, I could care less on what you think about me. I was just asking a question because I do not want it to affect my teaching, and a teacher that skips out mid term can cause problems for all the teachers in the school.

Sounds about par for the course for a Chinese elementary school. If it makes you feel better present your concerns to whoever is in charge of you, but realistically - they know, they just don't care. The foreign teachers are there to be in brochures and so the kids go home to tell their parents about their brilliant funny foreign teacher.

If you try and deal with everything you've described above those in charge are going to hear you saying "Hi, I just got here, and you're doing everything wrong." Limit any suggestions to whatever is directly affecting you and your classes - all other efforts should be directed towards finding a better school for next year. But if you find such a thing, keep quiet about it or everyone'll want one.

Yes, I was hired to teach English. But since arriving at the school, have found out that it is mostly just oral English and games that the school wants me to teach. Some of the books and classes that I am given to teach do cover the tenses, but those are for the private school and not the public school. And if you are talking about grammar errors? Yes, sometimes when I am writing I forget to use proper grammar. My teaching discipline is Engineering normally, not English. I am in China teaching English, because I wanted a change from what I was doing and because I am married to a very lovely Chinese lady.