Chinese-Forums

Android APN settings for China Mobile

banjo67xxx

Hi,

Its taken me a whole day of searching different websites to find these settings, but finally I have got my UK purchased HTC Desire working on China Mobile

Firstly, you need to install APN Manager from BT Square from the Android Market so that you can edit the hidden settings on your phone.

Then take the basic settings from http://www.androidonhtc.com/old/carrier_network_settings and combine that with the MCC/MNC settings from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_network_code and you end up with

Name: Cmcc

APN: cmnet

Proxy: leave blank

Port: leave blank

Username:leave blank

Password:leave blank

Server: leave blank

MMSC: mmsc.monternet.com

MMS Proxy: 10.0.0.172

MMS Port: 9201

MCC:460

MNC:02

APN Type: leave blank

This worked for me, so I hope others find this useful too.

Now I can make SIP calls using Fring and it only costs me 1.3 US cents/min to call the UK and uses about 200KB/min of my data usage (I paid 10RMB for 70MB, so thats another 0.03RMB/min) and I dont have to use an international calling card, and its cheaper than a local call which is 1.2RMB/min. The call quality isnt perfect but its good enough. For more important international calls I can now access the website to setup a callback anyway.

• Like 2

APN settings are not hidden in Android, you don't need to install anything to edit them. Go to: Settings->Wireless & networks->Mobile networks->Access Point Names. Here either edit existing settings or press menu and choose New APN.

I also want to mention Sipdroid as probably the best SIP client for Android and 12voip, SIP provider I personally use. 12voip has (mostly) free calls to landlines UK, USA, Canada, Australia, China and Taiwan (well, for USA, Canada and China calls to mobiles are free as well).

• Like 1

APN settings are not hidden in Android

I also want to mention Sipdroid as probably the best SIP client for Android and 12voip, SIP provider I personally use. 12voip has (mostly) free calls to landlines

Thanks for the tips.

You might not need APN manager if your carriers settings aren't hidden, but Vodafone UK uses an MCC/MNC which makes it hidden.

I agree Sipdroid is excellent.

12voip want €10/3months and has a fair usage limit of 300min/week which means they're not completely free, but I admit its the best deal I've seen for a long time.