Chinese-Forums

Which food you guys miss the most when you are in China?

gingersoup

Curry is a British national dish?

I thought Fish and Chips are.

In the past perhaps, but now the national dish is CTM. Chicken tikka masala, an "indian" dish invented the UK, the same way that Chop suey was invented in the USA, i.e everyone in the UK has heard of it, but no one in its supposed country of origin has.

When in HK and China I sometimes miss English tea, i.e. PG tips, you can get brands like Liptons out there, but it's nowhere near as good (and in HK I miss tea made with normal as opposed to condensed milk).

Its been 7 years since I was last in China, but every trip there had me craving salads -- tossed, Caeser, ---whatever. I just wanted a big bowl of greens and a parmesan or bleu cheese dressing. And everytime I came home, I got my fix immediately!

Falafel. Hommus. Decent olives and pita bread.

I could take a 5 hour bus to Taipei and go to a restaurant that has falafel if I had a really bad craving for it. But it just doesn't taste the same. And sometimes it's sold out. Imagine: sit on a bus for 5 hours, just to eat falafel, only to find it's sold out! Hideous thought!

I'd sell my soul for some trifle. Yum.

Oh and a decent ale.

• 2 weeks later...

Bread. The sandwiches here are one of the few things I really don't like, and there are not many other bread-like things here. In Beijing I used to eat the muslim-nang once in a while, but I haven't seen them here. I guess Xinjiang is to far from Taipei.

Sometimes I go to the jinji behind Shida just to buy their bread, don't know what it's called but it's delicious.

lpascou, maybe you can call in advance??

Hmmm,,, perhaps I shouldn't say this here, but when I'm outside China now, I miss Mala huoguo very much! I met some Sichuanese in Laos and they have a restaurant, but unfortunately they didn't have any Mala huoguo, so I had a mala miantiao instead, the lady was nice enough though, she gave me a bottle of mala lajiao sauce as a gift...

:~~~~~~~~~~

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If it's decent bread you crave, and you're in Beijing‘s Wudaokou District then check out the 华人超市 (Huaren Chaoshi) around the back of 华清家园 (Huaqingjiayuan apartment complex). They have a newly opened bakery department inside. Their bread is reasonably priced and they don't add the usual bucketloads of sugar that most bread here suffers from... :D

I still crave for cheese though. :(

• 1 month later...

Well, as French, I really miss my old stinky cheese ( or chesses, as I like a lot of differents ones) and a good french bread with crusty crust. I know if I have patience to go in some places in big towns in China, I can find some good ones (well, imported cheeses, for the bread, I still haven't found my happiness), and as student, this is not a thing i can afford very often.

Oh I miss also good charcuterie (pork-butchery), you know, "saucisson, raw-dried ham, andouillette et tout ça...".

Anyway, I still haven't tried every chinese dishes and I enjoy it a lot, so I'm not too annoyed by this. Its just that sometimes, I have some compulsive desire for tartiflette and, oh man, its difficult to be satisfied (I usually make a cake or a pie in those cases, to compensate).

From what I hear, one thing that many foreigners (especially from America) miss is a good juicy steak. Now, there's a BIG difference between eating beef, and eating a good steak (mmmm... Ribeye). I've been to Russia, and I recently came back from the Philippines, and in neither of these places could I find a steak comparable to the ones I eat here in the US (even at the expensive restraunts). My traveling friend, who has been to over 20 different countries agreed with me, and said that he has never had a good steak in a different country.

I tend to find that I start to crave for foods within 2 to 3 weeks... hehe... and I usually crave for a good steak and cheese (and other "real" dairy products). Although, now I'm beginning to crave some of the foods that I was eating in the Philippines... like their AMAZING Pineapples and Mangos (by the way, if you've never been to the Philippines and experienced the glorious taste of these fruits, you have not lived).

Youshen

I've been to Russia' date=' and I recently came back from the Philippines, and in neither of these places could I find a steak comparable to the ones I eat here in the US (even at the expensive restraunts). My traveling friend, who has been to over 20 different countries agreed with me, and said that he has never had a good steak in a different country.

[/quote']

Well that's surprising... not even in Europe (France)?

I don't say that beef doesn't taste good in the U.S (the texture is sometimes surprising maybe), but when I eat one, I always think about all the weird stuff they have put in the beef as it was running (or not) in the prairie : antibiotics, GMO, hormons....mmm this frightens me more than any choutofu I could be forced to eat.

Well that's surprising... not even in Europe (France)?

I don't say that beef doesn't taste good in the U.S (the texture is sometimes surprising maybe)' date=' but when I eat one, I always think about all the weird stuff they have put in the beef as it was running (or not) in the prairie : antibiotics, GMO, hormons....mmm this frightens me more than any choutofu I could be forced to eat.[/quote']

Well, like I said... beef and steak... are 2 completely different things. It also *really* depends on how you cook them and with what seasonings. I have not yet been to France, nor have I tasted their steak, but I would gamble on the side that they don't compare to US steaks. :D

Youshen

This sounds like a case of "Mom's cooking is best". Every country does their cooking differently and you like what you are used to. In the UK steak is cooked until it is dry and brown in the middle, the French say the English kill their beef twice, once in the abattoir and then again in the kitchen. Of course if you are English and then go to France you will find yourself served up raw steak (raw for an English man) that you are incapable of digesting.

I'm an English man living in France and now I love French steak but it took me a while to get used to it.

The same can be said about chocolate.

John

My traveling friend, who has been to over 20 different countries agreed with me, and said that he has never had a good steak in a different country.

I have no idea what I'm talking about as far as steak, but I'd say the best steak I've ever had was in Argentina. Any Argentine will tell you they have the best steak in the world. :lol: Of course, any Midwesterner will tell you the same.

In any case, one of my good friends is the son of a cattle farmer, and living in China he missed steak the most also.

I'm heading back to the US pretty soon and I'm going to do the following:

1) Eat tons of Tex-Mex

2) Drink good beer

3) Drink good wine

Yes, Argentinian steak is delicious... but defeinitly has it's own 'flavor'. A few weeks back I went to an Argentine Steak House and had some pretty good steak...

Man, I wish I could get a steak for $2!!!! haha, the best steak I have ever eaten was at this place in San Francisco. It is one of the top 3 steak houses in America, and one of the top 10 in the world.... it was soooooooo good! I can still taste it! ;) But at around $80 a head, it better taste that good... :roll:

Youshen

• 2 months later...