Chinese-Forums

Best bookshop in Beijing?

akdn

Hi everyone.

I'll be in Beijing soon for a quick visit. Two bookshop requests:

1) Where's the best place to pick up Chinese-learning materials?

I'm using Integrated Chinese (level 2) at the moment, but would also like to check out HSK courses, with a view to taking the exam next year. I have seen HSK books, but the shops never seem to stock the cassettes that accompany the listening section. Is the situation in Beijing any better?

2) Where's the best place these days for contemporary American / British / (translated) Japanese literature? I know of Wangfujing foreign language bookstore, and the Friendship Store, but I guess there may be others???

Thanks.

For Chinese learning materials, I frequent the Wangfujing Bookstores (both the foreign languages one, and the huge bookstore at the south end of the street) but I also supplement this with trips to the bookstore at the entrance to BLCU.

They always have the tapes when I need them. If not, I'd guess it's just temporary - come back in a week, or go somewhere else.

As for question 2), I'm as keen to know the answer as you . . .

Roddy

Thanks, Roddy. Good stuff.

The last time I was on Wangfujing, the south end (well, the whole length of it, in fact) was a mess of ripped up paving stones and blokes in dodgy suits operating construction equipment. There's a bookshop there? Near the Beijing Hotel / Oriental Plaza ?

Hi,

There is a large branch of xinhua bookshop at xidan - on the main road (changan avenue, or does it change into something else by then?) just east of xidan metro station. They have quite a few HKS books although not all of them were 'user-friendly' - lots have instructions only in chinese and didn't seem very inspiring. They have the tapes to go with them too but these are in a separate section for video/audio stuff. If you find the video/audio section first then just outside is a counter selling electronic dictionaries and stuff - the HSK books are on the shelves just behind this section. (Well, they were a few weeks ago anyway.) I found some good books for the listening part of the exam, with tapes to match, but haven't found the time to make much use of them yet ...

Good luck, Jo

Haidian Book City is still alive and well near the southwest corner of Peking U. It is a great place to buy Chinese books with numerous specialty shops for those interested in archaelogy, art, science, etc.

The big bookstore near Xidan subway station is good too.

UPDATE: I just had my weekend in Beijing, and managed to pick up the HSK materials I wanted from the big bookshop at the south end of Wangfujing (which, incidently, had some really helpful staff). I didn't have time to look into the other places mentioned, but probably will next time I go.

Cheers everyone.

UPDATE: I just had my weekend in Beijing' date=' and managed to pick up the HSK materials I wanted from the big bookshop at the south end of Wangfujing (which, incidently, had some really helpful staff). I didn't have time to look into the other places mentioned, but probably will next time I go.

Cheers everyone.[/quote']

There's this small bookstore that caters especially to foreign students near wudaokou. it's in a compound at the end of the road where xijiao hotel and wudaokou hotel are. There's also a "golf academy" in the compound. the books and tapes there are all 20% off, so you can save some money and they have a huge selection of books for learning chinese (i've found books that they didn't have at wangfujin or xidan xinhua bookstore). and if they didn't have what you were looking for, they could probably order it for you..