Chinese-Forums

Has anyone done a masters degree in Chinese Medicine in China? Info please!

lovelife

• New Members

Hello everyone, I very much appreciate what you've all posted here so far. I'm considering doing a TCM bachelor's or master's in China (or Taiwan) as well but hesitate at the moment. Here is my situation, perhaps you guys can help:

-22 years old, Chinese-American, BA in Human Biology

-Can read/speak Mandarin, some Cantonese. Will need to study a year or two before I feel comfortable going to school in Asia

-Currently finishing up my 1st trimester at a TCM school in the US (New York College of TCM, Master's degree). Many (if not most) of the professors here graduated from schools in China and have many years of experience.

Like you guys, I want to get the best education possible, but I'd like to keep an eye on my parents' health and will only go to Asia if evidence tells me it's necessary. I live in NYC and went to California for college, and in that time my grandmother became very ill and my mother had a breast cancer scare, so I'm wary about being away for so long. My parents are generally fine now, but they don't exercise much and are at risk for diabetes. 

I've asked a Chinese professor of mine about going to China. She did her combined bachelor's/master's at Hubei College of TCM, and said the education she received was much deeper and had a broader scope. But she also said I'd be fine if I just read classical texts on my own, and that would make moving to China unnecessary. That would be a nice solution for me, but I want to hear what you all have to say. Currently, I'm considering three options:

1) US master's, self-study classical texts. Entob33 and a research article I've read  have suggested that the classics play an integral part in one's TCM education, so I thought I could simply read them on my own and ask my professors questions outside of class. I have confidence in my self-study skills and often find I benefit from reading on my own more than being in class at times. One downside to this approach, however, is that I have concerns about the quality of the clinical education at school due to low patient numbers. Schools in China are also situated in hospitals from what I hear, and that might expose me to various cases and make me a better doctor. 

2) US master's, then Asian master's internship. I'm hoping this would supplement any weaknesses in my American clinical training

2) Chinese/Taiwanese bachelor's (and maybe master's). Will my undergraduate science credits transfer, even if I did them in English?

The next trimester at school starts in 3 weeks, so I hope I can decide before then whether I want to stay here or go abroad. I look forward to your input!

• 7 years later...