Chinese-Forums

Jiangnan University, Wuxi - language study

Keown

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

The teachers are nice, but the administration sucks. They shuffled me into classes one month into the semester, now I'm super stressed trying to catch up on a month of missed work.

If I knew that I'd have to catch up on the missed work, and at the same time, keep up in class, I would have waited until next semester.

The administration also said that since I missed orientation, I'd have to do everything myself but that I could "just ask my classmates" for any help that I needed. Like getting a dorm room, setting up a bank account, getting my student card and buying power? Yeah right.

I thankfully had a chinese friend that helped me run around campus getting everything I needed.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Most of the foreign students seem to be asian. There are a lot of korean students, because Wuxi is a big technology city, with a big korean population. Lots of middle-aged korean women that came here with their husbands, or korean children that came here with their parents. There are some africans, and some europeans too. I've only seen a handful of north americans.

We textbooks we use are the "Hanyu Jiaocheng" ones. They're a bit stuffy, but cheap! I think the price was around 250 yuan for the 5 texts I needed for A Class (the beginner class).

As for Wuxi life? It's kinda boring if you plan on staying on campus. The campus is far from downtown, and there's no nightlife at the university itself. All the stores on campus close by 11pm. Downtown is pretty exciting and vibrant, but it can be hard to get around if you want to rely on public transit, because the buses don't run very late. I suggest getting a bike, or an e-bike if you have the cash and aren't afraid of driving here. :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

@MD REZAUL KABIR BHUIYAN

the document says you needed to be at the university on 5 March 2018 in order to register.

EDIT: also see the calendar here, it also says that the first week of the 2nd semester started on 5 march.

http://studyabroad.jiangnan.edu.cn/English/Campus_Life/Calendar.htm

Are you already in China, then?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I used to teach at Jiangnan University. (I was not a student in the Chinese Language program.) If anyone has questions about the city of Wuxi, please feel free to ask. (Make sure you check out the weekday lunch special at Pizza Hut that is not on the menu!)

• Helpful 1

Well, kind of related to Wuxi: I'm planning to head to Suzhou to study for a semester at XJTLU, and I've spent ages trying to work out how to get a sensible flight to Wuxi airport from Singapore. 

I can get a decent price direct flight with SCOOT 5h40 duration, but it arrives at Wuxi 22:35 on a Saturday night, which doesn't sound great for checking into accommodation in Suzhou (I'm considering Airbnb), or for public transport from what @MD REZAUL KABIR BHUIYAN was saying. 

So my question would be: If I arrive late Sat night in Wuxi airport will I be stuck there?  Is there a semi-decent hotel in the airport?  I looked on the airport website but the accommodation pages don't work properly on my Mac. In fact going back there now I can't even work out how I found the English section.

I realise there are many direct domestic flights to Wuxi airport, but timing/price hasn't been working out for me... so far the best price I've found so far is China Southern with a 9-hour layover in Shenzhen.

Any tips @NinjaTurtle or others?

Edit: I realise flying to Pudong or Hongqiao then getting the train might technically be easier, but I will have lots of luggage and an injured shoulder so I'd rather avoid that option.

13 hours ago, mungouk said:

Any tips

Hi Mungouk,

I am only too happy to help. I am not in Wuxi now, but I have Chinese friends in Wuxi. They would probably know. I might be able to put you in contact with them.

There are direct non-stop buses from both Shanghai airports to Suzhou. That might be a better option if you have a lot of bags. Getting a bunch of bags from Wuxi to Suzhou may not be any easier.

Flying to Wuxi? I have never flown domestically in China. (I always take a bus or train.) I have never been to Wuxi Airport. It is way on the eastern side of town. I don't know if there are any hotels. The subway goes from Wuxi Airport to downtown Wuxi, so that may be an option. We just have to find out when the last subway train is. Shall I contact my Chinese friends in Wuxi for more info?

• Helpful 1

Thanks @NinjaTurtle for your reply.

On reflection I'm probably going to find a hotel outside but close to Wuxi airport so I can get a decent nights sleep, and then get a taxi into Suzhou the following morning. 

Travelling with 3 months' worth of luggage on buses/trains isn't really feasible for me as I have a bad shoulder.