Chinese-Forums

Studying Mandarin in Guangzhou!

DavidHo

Hey everyone,

So I posted here a couple of weeks ago asking about learning Cantonese in Guangzhou... well there have been a change in plans ;)

Now I'm thinking of going to study Mandarin for a year instead, but here is my logic... please let me know your opinion:

1) If I study Mandarin in GZ, I can still practice (if I am well disciplined) cantonese on my OWN at nights... either by making local friends or hiring a cantonese tutor from GZ which would likely be cheaper than hiring a cantonese tutor in HK.

2) I can learn basic Mandarin while improving my Cantonese!

So now my questions :)

- What school? What City (GZ? Shenzen? What are the differences?)

- How to register? Do you register directly with the school? When I look online there are a lot of websites like "http://www.study-in-china.org/School/guangdong/GDUFS/admission.asp"... are they real? Does it cost more to go through them?

Thanks for all your help!!

David

Welcome to Guangzhou DavidHo!

First I would NOT recommend Guangzhou University. I've been here for a year now as an exchange student and have had a lot to complain about. It's a miracle that this term I seem to have good teachers. I'm actually going to Sun Yat Sen University (Zhongda 中大) next Autumn to do a BA degree, I've heard a lot of good about it and my old classmate is studying there at the moment.

This is what my old classmate thinks about Zhongda:

I'm very happy that I have changed the university. I'm very content with the teaching here. It's very profesional. They know how to teach foreigners! There are more than 1000 students here, that means that they have many different levels. After entry exams you go to the appropriate class. We also have 15 hours per week and almost the same subjects like in Guang da but it's more intensiv. They also have special courses like HSK or cantoneese and so on for free.

I think you should apply directly through a university you choose. For example for Zhongda you can check their website: http://soee.sysu.edu.cn/yyb/index.htm

Thanks for the heads up xuefang!

Actually, it's funny because this past weekend I was just recommended Sun Yat Sen my an aunt who knows a lot of foreigners who studied Mandarin there and gave positive reviews!

Looks like I will be enrolling there for Sept 2011 :) Any info on the dorms? And thanks, I will be applying directly with the school.

So nice that you're going to Zhongda 中大 too!

This is from the university's website:

International Student Hall

For long-term students (referring to those registered to study for at least one semester):

RMB1,050 yuan/per person/month, RMB 35 yuan /per person/day (double room)

RMB1,650 yuan/per month, RMB 55 yuan/per day(single room )

The above accommodation fees are the room prices of the International Student Hall on the South Campus. Each room in the Hall has independent bathroom, internet connection plug, telephone and air-conditioner. Inside the Hall, there are laundry rooms, gyms, TV rooms and reading rooms. There is an international students' canteen inside. Also, the bed articals are equipped in each room. It is near your classrooms

Because I'm living with my boyfriend, I'm going to rent apartment near the university. Already found the perfect neighbourhood for us and hopefully will find a good home when I start looking in June.

Hi David,

As a Chinese American seeking to learn better Cantonese myself, I see that you have decided to learn Mandarin in school instead of Cantonese. That said, then how are you going to learn Cantonese without some formal classes ? A tutor ? Websites ? Teacher friends ?

How long will you be in GZ ?

LA Guy

Hey LA Guy,

I'm going to improve my Cantonese when I get there. Guangdong is the birthplace of Cantonese afterall, and from what I've been told... the locals all speak Cantonese.

Mandarin during the day at school, cantonese friends at night, and a TON of discipline and will-power to self-improve on these languages... hoping it's the right attitude and formula I need to succeed ;)

Also I should note that I already understand a little bit of cantonese, just my vocabulary is very basic.

Hi David,

You might want to take a look at the free PDF that David K. posted

How to Learn Mandarin in Months Not Years

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/31984-mastering-mandarin-in-months/page__pid__244242#comment-244242

Some good tips here.

I would make sure I start learning the free ANKI flash card program

http://ankisrs.net/download/

Get a small digital voice recorder and start practicing your Mandarin ASAP.

Tape yourself speaking Mandarin and Cantonese and get feedback.

Hope you share your experiences here.

LA Guy