Chinese-Forums

Mastering Mandarin in Months

kdavid

Hello All,

I've written an ebook on learning Mandarin. I've attached it to this post.

Hopefully, some of you find it beneficial. Any feedback is welcome!

From the book:

This is an approach to language learning. It is a mentality serious students of Mandarin Chinese should adopt if they truly want to master Mandarin in months, not years.

While there are many excellent textbooks on the market today, almost all textbooks fail to teach students how to learn. My overall objective in writing this book is to share with others my approach to learning Mandarin which helped me develop oral fluency in just six months.

While casual language learners and those curious about learning Mandarin will benefit greatly from reading this book, the contents herein have been written specifically for the student who wants to learn Mandarin Chinese as quickly as possible.

Lastly, while the focus is on learning Mandarin, the techniques discussed here can be applied to learning any other language.

Mastering Mandarin in Months How to Learn Chinese in Months Not Years.pdf

• Like 4

There are some good tips in your book but I think even the best tips can only help people to "Master Mandarin in years not in decades"

Thanks, and I'm glad you've found the content useful.

The overall idea here is to present a mentality and attitude that can help people to attain oral fluency in a short amount of time.

Becoming as well-spoken and articulate as the most eloquent Chinese novelists certainly takes time. This text lays a foundation for achieving such goals.

Hi thanks for sharing. I have downloaded it and will read it later.

Could I ask how copyright works in such situation? The book is shared for free download here. But the second last paragraph of the copyright page says no reproduction, storage and transmittion in any forms without permission of the publisher. Does it mean that the publisher has now given permission to everyone to reproduce, store and transmit the book?

I just read the e-book and think it's useful for beginners or people who are thinking of studying Chinese. For me it didn't really offer anything new, but that's understandable because I'm not a beginner anymore.

Not bad. Thanks. Should be useful to those just starting out.

It reminds me some of "Stealth Chinese" that sold for $49.97 three or four years ago. http://www.stealthchinese.com/book.html

I will confess, to my chagrin, that every time I read or re-read one of these beginner-advice books on "how to learn Chinese" I find something I can still use. Usually something I once knew, but then forgot.

• 5 weeks later...
I think even the best tips can only help people to "Master Mandarin in years not in decades"

I'd agree with this.

I realize the goal isn't mass-marketing of a book but seeing any title talking about mastering Mandarin in months I'd immediately dismiss it as claiming the impossible.

What does "mastery" mean to you?

If it's what it means to me, mastering Mandarin in months is possible, but extremely difficult, sacrificing a lot, and that's if you're pretty smart. And most people aren't pretty smart.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I read the book in one go, thanks!

As a Chinese major (who's finished all the language courses already) I felt there were good tips on study technique and the overall attitude in approaching Chinese. In my uni there was never any mention of different study methods (besides going to a class) - and frankly, many of my fellow students didn't know much in that respect. I wish I had read your book when I first started though :)

• 1 month later...

I was just about to read it, when I saw that it is supposed to teach you "Mandarin in months not years".

Anyone book that claims that, immediately becomes untrustworthy to me

@zhou The book doesn't teach you Mandarin at all. It teaches you learning techniques.

Hi skylee,

Everyone is free to download and share as they see fit. I only ask that if someone uses these materials that they cite the source.

Thanks for asking!

@kdavid I recommend adding the appropriate CC license tag into your copyright page of the pdf over the current text, it is far more clear and defined.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

The positive feedback is much appreciated. Also, a big thanks to all for the constructive criticism thus far.

As a Chinese major (who's finished all the language courses already) I felt there were good tips on study technique and the overall attitude in approaching Chinese. In my uni there was never any mention of different study methods (besides going to a class) - and frankly, many of my fellow students didn't know much in that respect. I wish I had read your book when I first started though

This was one of the main motivations for writing the book. One of the great ironies of institutionalized education is that more often than not we fail to learn how to learn. Hopefully the techniques herein can help guide some people in their language learning.