Chinese-Forums

Mandarin Essay(Lüxíng)

kaptenkeirin

• New Members

Pīnyīn

Lüxíng

Wǒ jiào Mohd. Hisyamuddin. Wǒ shì Shā Bā rén. Wǒ zhùzài Membakut. Wǒ érshìyī suì le. Wǒ zài Shā Bā Dàxuè niànshu. Wǒ xuéxí Software Engineering. Wǒ méiyǒu nüpéngyou.Wǒ jiā yǒu wǔ kǒu rén.Wǒmen zhùzài Taman Emas Takapan zài Membakut.

Sháng ge zhōumò,wǒmen shì zài Kundasang guò de. Membakut lí Kundasang hěn yuǎn, yībǎi gōnglǐ duō. Wǒ de nǎinai hé Wǒ de nǎinai mèimei hé Wǒ de shūshu hé tā jiā yìqǐ qù kundasang Lüxíng. Zǎoshang liù diǎn duō Wǒmen zuò huǒchē cóng Membakut huǒchēzhàn. Huǒchē piào hěn piányi. Wǒmen zuò lü yóu bā shì cóng Kota Kinabalu.

Kinabalu Shān zài Kundasang, hěn piàoliang, kōngqì yě hěn hǎo. Zhè ge yuè Shā Bā de tiānqì hǎo jí le, bú xià yǔ, bú guā fēng, yǒu tàiyáng. Bú lěng yě bú rè, hěn shūfu. Hěn duō rén zuò chē lái Kinabalu Shān wánr. Tāmen zài nàr sàn bù, chī dōngxi, kàn shū. Wǒmen zài nàr cānguānle bù shǎo míngshèng gǔjì, kànle hěn duō yǒu yìsi de dōngxi. Wǒmen zài Poring Hot Spring hé Kinabalu Park. Poring Hot Spring zài Ranau. Ranau lí Kundasang bù tài yuǎn, wǔ gōnglǐ. Wǒmen kànjiàn hěn duō xǐao xué xuéshēng zài Kinabalu Park Lüxíng. Wǒmen yě kàn hěn duō Zhōngguórēn he Rìběnrēn.

Xìawǔ èr diǎn wǒmen qù fàndiàn chī fàn. Wǒmen huí jiā líkāi. Xìawǔ qī diǎn wǒmen lái jiā.

Translation

Travel

My name is Mohd. Hisyamuddin. I’m Sabahan. I live in Membakut. I’m 21 years old. I study in UMS. I’m studying Software Engineering. I don’t have a girlfriend. There are 5 people in my family. We live in Taman Emas Takapan in Membakut.

We spent last weekend at Kundasang. Membakut is very far from Kundasang, more than 100 kilometers. My grandmother, my grandmother sister, my uncle and his family also went with us to Kundasang. At 6.00 in the morning, we ride on train from Membakut Railway Station. The train ticket is very cheap. We then use Tour Bus from Kota Kinabalu.

Mount Kinabalu is in Kundasang, it’s very beautiful and the air is very good. This month the weather in Sabah is very nice, no rain, no wind, sunshine, not cold and not hot – very comfortable! Many people come to Mount Kinabalu by bus to enjoy it. They walks, eat, and read there. We went to Poring Hot Spring and Kinabalu Park. Poring Hot Spring is in Ranau. Ranau is not far from Kundasang, 5 kilometers. We saw many primary school student go to Kinabalu Park to travel. We also saw many people from China and Japan.

At 2.00 pm we went to restaurant to eat. After eat, we went home. At 7.00

thanks 4 the help!

I have to say I've not seen an essay written in pinyin before. It's kind of tricky to read. I've had a stab at some corrections, but I'm sure someone else can do better.

"Wǒmen zài Poring Hot Spring hé Kinabalu Park" might be better as "Wǒmen qù le Poring Hot Spring hé Kinabalu Park" (我们去了Poring Hot Spring和Kinabalu Park).

"Wǒmen kànjiàn hěn duō xǐao xué xuéshēng zài Kinabalu Park Lüxíng" => "Wǒmen kànjiàn le hěn duō zài Kinabalu Park lǚxíng de xiǎoxué xuéshēng." (我们看见了很多在Kinabalu Park旅行的小学学生。)

"Wǒmen yě kàn hěn duō Zhōngguórēn he Rìběnrēn." => "Wǒmen yě kànjiàn le hěn duō Zhōngguórēn he Rìběnrēn." (我们也看见了很多中国人和日本人。)

"Xìawǔ èr diǎn wǒmen qù fàndiàn chī fàn. Wǒmen huí jiā líkāi. Xìawǔ qī diǎn wǒmen lái jiā." => "Xìawǔ liǎng diǎn wǒmen qù le fàndiàn chī fàn, ránhou huí jiā líkāi, wǎnshang qī diǎn dào jiā" (下午两点我们去了饭店吃饭,然后回家离开,晚上七点到家。)

When I was very new to this "learning Chinese" game, I wrote a e-mail note to a Chinese friend back home in Pinyin, being careful to mark each tone correctly. I was quite proud of the end result and it took a fair amount of time.

She replied (in English) that she had to show it to her young child, who read it out loud to her so she could understand what it meant.

• Like 1

Yeah I've heard similar stories. There was one on ChinaSmack about a girl writing her diary in pinyin and her mother being unable to read it because of that. I think it's really a choice between learning to write in characters or not learning to write. It could be a good move to not write though, as you can make faster progress in speaking.

I think it's really a choice between learning to write in characters or not learning to write.

@kaptenkeirin, what I was trying to hint at in my post, and @East Asia Student meant above are similar. If you are already as proficient with Pinyin as your essay suggests, it's time to move on into learning Chinese characters (Hanzi) without delay. It is not worth the investment of your time to master Pinyin essay composition. Nobody except other students will be able to read them.