Chinese-Forums

'Think' usage in Mandarin

hht

Ok Hello all. My mandarin skill is very basic compared to you lot so hope you can help.

I have asked this to my chinese friends (I am currently teaching in China).

My question is to do with using 'think' the two ways people have told me are 想 and 认为.

So lets say someone asks me 'how old is he?' Are these two answers the same meaning?

我认为他是二十三岁

我想他是二十三岁

So obviously the answer here is an unsure one as in I do not know 100% sure he is 23.

And now to another example:

我认为你很可爱

我想你很可爱

So this one is my opinion, as in English I would say 'I think your cute'

What I am confused about is when to use which 'think' in terms of when i am not sure, and then when I am giving an opinion.

Thanks

I don't know the distinction between 想 and 认为 but I'm pretty sure that 觉得 is the most common way (in speech) to express your opinion (我觉得你很可爱) and when you don't know something for sure (我觉得他是二十三岁 ~ I think he's 23 [but don't know it for sure])

If you have access to ChinesePod, there was an episode of QingWen (QW0008 from July 2007) that dealt with the difference between 觉得, 认为, and 以为. 想 was not discussed. Master Rackoczi is on the right track with 觉得 being the best for informal usage meaning "think, feel, belive" when giving an opinion like that. My understanding is that 认为 is functionally very similar, but a little more formal, and a little more forceful. (you are a little more certain in your belief)

以为 (yǐwéi )is described in this podcast as being more like an assumption, that later turned out not to be true. So, to think, but incorrectly. ("Well, I thought I knew the answer!")

想's other meanings include 'want to', remember with longing (miss you!), think back/recall, think, ponder and 'suppose/reckon'. So some of the meanings could be used as "think" when stating an opinion, but I think 觉得 would be better in your examples.

Of course, the native speakers will soon chime in and I may have to change my 认为 to an 以为 :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I feel 认为 is close to English's "consider", as in "I consider him a fine actor." There's an element of assessment on the speaker's part. I don't find it so appropriate to use with a number as specific as 二十三岁; I think it would be better to say 我认为他是二十岁.

If you have reason to believe that the person is 23, but have no confirmation, you can say

我想他应该是二十三岁