Chinese-Forums

The Grand Gaming Project

Gleaves

Hi everyone! I've been thinking about my next Chinese learning project. My goal is to make video game that's much more...game-y than my last project, Inkstone, and I wanted to get some feedback and suggestions on a rough idea I have.

Inkstone is really just for training vocabulary. I want to create a game where language-learning is a central mechanic, and where new words and new grammatical constructs directly translate into new abilities. For this to be true, I probably want using language to be the primary mechanic of the game, as it is in Grant Kuning's game Sethian. I also want this game to focus on real-word use cases, like cooking, navigation, and shopping, as opposed to being restricted to the combat or to fantasy or sci-fi scenarios.

Here's an outline of an idea that I think could work:

• Imagine a game where you have to accomplish several tasks - say, cooking different meals in a kitchen - and the faster you do them, the better.
  • You wouldn't perform these tasks directly. Rather, you'd instruct helpers to do steps on the way, like fetching an ingredient or chopping a vegetable.
  • There would be several units under your control, and they would work in parallel - think Pikmin or StarCraft, with only half a dozen units at a time.
  • Now for the language learning: instead of using a mouse or a controller, you would command yours units in natural-language, by writing Chinese!
  • Units could also ask questions of you. For example, if you told them to fetch the onions, they may ask how many to get or where to look.

Now, I have a background in natural-language processing and I think the NLP components of a game like this one are approachable. However, I'm not sure how much art I can do. Making that problem worse is the fact that for a game like this, the number of art assets required could be very large. There's a combinatorial explosion when you have to represent all the n foods and the m actions you might take with them (not to mention what happens if the domain expands beyond the narrow cooking one I described above).

I think the basic idea outlined above is a reasonable starting point, but here's where I could use help:

1. Is there a way that you can see to naturally expand the domain outside cooking, while still having gameplay and a focus on real-world tasks? One thing I was considering was a "adult-life simulator" like The Sims where you'd have a long list of things to get done, like shopping. Another way might be to mix in some other, more game-y goals into these activities. For example, imagine having to get from point A to point B while also tracking some target as part of a surveillance mission. Both directions and the description of the target would be given in Chinese, and again, you could ask further questions of your handlers for more information.
  2. What would you think of such a game if the language mechanics were solid but the graphics were very limited? One way to represent the large number of items that might be necessary for such a game would be to use ASCII art, such as in a traditional roguelike, with further details provided by text. Another way would be to make the game text-only. Imagine having to wrangle a group of chefs where your only communication with them is over a messaging app!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey all, just wanted to ask does anyone have any recommendations for games with lots of audio and text dialogue? I'd like to start taking a more holistic approach to learning Chinese. I've spent a while trying to get the first two games in the beginning of this thread off the ground........ but it's difficult.

@RichSI recommend Rimworld, only US$30 on Steam (still technically "Early Release", but very well supported), there is excellent Chinese language support through the mod community. They even have Traditional and Simplified for a lot of the best mods. Check out a few Youtube plays to get an idea if it is for you before you buy. Enjoy! (....and also, sorry, it is highly addictive. Think the Sims, meets Simcity, meets rpg combat. I don't know why, but for me the game is like crack).

• 11 months later...

Can anyone help me, please? I'm using Chinese games to study the language, and I'd like to know if some Chinese site already has their full transcripts. It's quite a difficult process to create them manually, as hanzi-recognition software often makes mistakes. But I do not know how to say 'transcript' in Chinese to look them up, or what other word the Chinese might be using to designate a text ripped from the game.

I'm using Pokemon RPGs, Zelda games, and some occasional Harvest Moon thrown in. It's not that I'm a fan of Pokemon or Zelda, but I've heard that these game series have very simple language from folks who used them to study Japanese. It's possible that their Chinese transcripts exist, but my low level of Chinese language prevents me from discovering them. I tried to search, but all I come up with are walkthroughs... Just to clear it up: I have the games, I just want to find their texts separately, if possible. That would save me a lot of effort with hanzi recognition that I have to exert before I can look them up in a dictionary.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys, extremely niche request, but does anybody know a good game in Chinese for learning the complex familial terms? I know that sounds extremely unlikely, but I'm thinking some in-depth Dynasty simulator would probably have something like this, where a key part of the game is keeping track of family relations. Especially since my extended family is relatively small, and I don't interact with them much, I don't have any anchor for these terms,s o something like this would provide a realistic and authentic one in its place.

6 hours ago, NinKenDo said:

Hey guys, extremely niche request, but does anybody know a good game in Chinese for learning the complex familial terms? I know that sounds extremely unlikely, but I'm thinking some in-depth Dynasty simulator would probably have something like this, where a key part of the game is keeping track of family relations. Especially since my extended family is relatively small, and I don't interact with them much, I don't have any anchor for these terms,s o something like this would provide a realistic and authentic one in its place.

I haven't played this game myself, but I know it's very popular with Chinese players and looks like it might include a lot of what you're looking for:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/838350/_The_Scroll_Of_Taiwu/

*The Scroll of Taiwu* is an indie game based on Chinese mythology and Wuxia tales. You will play as a "successor of Taiwu" in a fictional universe, defeating your greatest enemy under the effort and sacrifice of many generations and change the fate of humankind.

You can find a detailed description on Steam, but it looks like you have to manage relationships as you guide your family or clan from generation to generation. That being the case, I imagine it will have a lot of familial terms:

"Lifelike" NPCs

• There are thousands of NPCs who have their own relationships and experiences; you can form any kind of relationships with them and even decide whether they live or die.

Massage_3.png?t=1585261167

• You will have children with your spouse.
  • Coach your successor and teach him/her all your skills.
  • Find your love from a past life.

If you do end up playing it, then be sure to come back and let us know what you think.

• Helpful 3

• 5 months later...

Cybperbunk 2077 looks like it has full Chinese text and audio support which will be a godsend to me. Now i can play it without guilt, cos I'll be learning.

I also wondered is there any recommendations for games on PC which you can play with random strangers and its a pretty standard practice that these people actually talk and cooperate to get tasks done? I think that might be a pretty good way of improving a lot of skills, but most of the games I've tried playing online strangers never talk.

• 1 year later...

I picked up Gujian 3 recently on a steam sale.  Anyone play this?

It's an "action" RPG, with very nice graphix.  It's got a lot more dodging than I'm used to in an RPG.  Already got killed by the first boss, and had to lower the difficulty level :) 

There's actually a lot of stuff to read in the game so far (a lot of lore & quest summaries), which is nice as language practice.  Unfortunately, the font is a bit small for me.

The speed of the narration in the cut scenes is a nice steady pace, not too fast.  There is the occasional voiceover during combat, which I'm missing, because I'm not good enough language-wise to understand when I'm not paying 100% attn.  Othewise I'd rate it about as about as difficult to follow as watching a movie.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 9:36 PM, phills said:

I picked up Gujian 3 recently on a steam sale.  Anyone play this?

After a few more hours, I gave up last year on Gujian 3.  The game was too hard for my Chinese level at the time.  I decided I'd give it another try after first improving my listening ability.

Fast forward a year, I decided to try a computer game in Chinese again.  Googling around, I saw that Rise of the Tomb Raider also has a complete Chinese audio track & subtitles.  I figured that the Tomb Raider games might be easier, being more like the other typical AAA western games that I'm already familiar with. 

Has anyone tried Rise of the Tomb Raider in Chinese?  So far, I'm a few hours in, and it feels more like the language learning experience I'm looking for.

There's a good quantity of Chinese audio in the game.  All the dialogue is in Chinese, as well as all the "lore dumps" (diary entries & archaeological decriptions).   Normally I fast forward through lore dumps while playing these games, but now I look forward to them as listening exercise.  I can also press repeat if I feel like I don't understand all of it, plus you can read along with the audio if you want.

Although I can understand almost all of the words when I focus, using my language ability operationally is still a challenge.  Gameplay tips & missions flash across the screen, and I can't always read it in time.  Audio hints pass by and if I'm not ready for it, I can't understand what's said until 5-10 characters in.  Fortunately, these AAA games do a lot of hand-holding for players (like lighting up your targets in bright cone of light, and bringing you back to life the instant you die).

The optimal language learning experience would probably have 50% more audio in the game, while having slightly less gameplay elements.  But this is pretty close, if you enjoy this sort of game.  The gameplay elements break up the tedium of listening & reading, while injecting some other mental exercises to force you to multitask.

• 11 months later...

Bumpity bump

Has anyone played this? Well reviewed, originally Chinese, it looks to have English but Steam hasn't been updated. Currently on a small discount.

> The game takes you on a journey through early 20th century China as you solve a series of intriguing cases along the Yangtze River. With its stunning brush painting art style and engaging storyline, it offers a unique gaming experience that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

• Like 1

It looks a bit like a Chinese version of Ace Attorney (although that also has a Chinese language option anyway). I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I just bought Cyberpunk 2077 and plan to play through the Chinese version first. I've heard people complain about the excessive dialogue and story elements, but as a Chinese learning tool that won't be a problem (at least I tell myself I'm just playing it to improve my Chinese!)

I had fun playing through Ace Attorney. These kind of games aren't super deep, but if you're interested in mystery solving involving some goofy characters than you'll probably enjoy both Ace Attorney as well as this game. The writing is generally better than a lot of Chinese dramas anyway!