Chinese-Forums

Movie theater popcorn

abcdefg

I go to the movie theater about twice a month to catch something on the big screen. Sometimes I even treat myself to popcorn and a soda. The popcorn has always been slightly sweet, never salted like back in the USA. Yesterday it had a caramel flavor. Am wondering if this has just been an artifact of my sampling, or if other moviegoers have found the same thing in other Chinese cities.

Watching a movie on my computer is just not the same as sitting in a comfortable seat with the lights off and having a good sound system rattle my ears. In Kunming the tickt price is discounted on Tuesdays, and that's when I usually go.

AFAIK, this is the norm for movie-theater-popcorn in China. I've been to quite a few theaters in quite a few cities and never come across the "normal" salted popcorn we're used to getting. Actually, it reminds me a bit of kettle corn.

What have you been to see recently?

I've been to quite a few theaters in quite a few cities and never come across the "normal" salted popcorn we're used to getting.

Then I think you have not been to cinemas in Hong Kong yet. The cinemas I usually go to have salted popcorn and I always ask for some on top of the sweet type. It is quite salty, but I don't know if it is the "normal" American type.

I usually go to two movies (discounted shows on weekend mornings) every week when I am not travelling. I agree that movies are best seen in cinemas (rather than computers or TVs or aeroplanes).

What have you been to see recently?

Yesterday I saw "A Chinese Fairy Tale" in downtown Kunming. Liu Yi Fei was stunning.

Embarassed just now as I tried to write the Chinese name of the movie out for you folks. Am looking at the ticket stub and cannot recognize the first character even with the help of my dictionary, although it looks like a simple one.

That mysterious first character is a 青 with a dangrenpang as its left hand part. Throughout the film the young hero calls the beautiful woman in white what sounded like "Xiao Qing." Maybe it was this Qing that was part of her name.

Second character is 女, the third is 幽 and the last is 魂。

The language in the film was mostly straight forward and understandable, but how foolish I feel not to be able to read or write the title now.

post-20301-028673700 1303544728_thumb.jpg

-------------------------

Edit: found it -- 倩 = qiàn = pretty; winsome (MDBG had it). I will leave the rest of the post unchanged as a monument to still having a long way to go in leaning this language.

Nah, 倩 is just a really sneaky character. Everything with 青 in it reads jing or qing, except this one. (Well, there are probably more exceptions, but this is the only one I noticed it with.)

Then I think you have not been to cinemas in Hong Kong yet. The cinemas I usually go to have salted popcorn and I always ask for some on top of the sweet type. It is quite salty, but I don't know if it is the "normal" American type.

You're right, I've never been to a movie in HK, but I hope to remedy that this summer. Salted popcorn will make it even better!

What is the language breakdown of most movies shown in HK? Lots of choice between Cantonese/Mandarin/English? Last but not least, what about subtitles (most shows like on the Mainland or...)?

How was the movie? I saw the trailer and it looks very interesting.

I found it very enjoyable. Good acting, interesting story line, good music and special effects. It was, after all, a fairy tale, and so there were parts which required extensive "willing suspension of disbelief." But it worked for me, although a steady diet of such fanciful fare would probably become tiresome.

In summary, I found it well worth the price of admission. And Liu Yi Fei is so incredibly beautiful that just watching her was a treat.

I used to think that sweet popcorn was an American thing, I guess I was wrong. It certainly didn't exist when I was growing up.

It used to drive me insane in Germany. If you don't specifically ask for the salty stuff, you get the sweet stuff without any warning. I once bought a huge bucket and found out too late...

Portugal seems to be the same, but at least they ask first.

I ask about the popcorn pretty much everytime i see someone selling it, streets or movie theaters, and its always sweet. Couple times I've been told that sometimes they have made salty popcorn for kids or something, but never been lucky enough to be there at the right time.

Thats why I always pack at least couple kilos of popcorn kernels in the luggage when coming back to china :)

Kernels are also bit hard to find in the shops and I'm not so interested buying food items from taobao...

Where I come from in Europe sweet popcorn is also the norm. But as I think that popcorn is really a rip off in movie theaters I tend to do it myself and then take it if I really want to eat some.
But I don't eat or drink when I watch movies so it doesn't really matter to me.

Yes it is unreasonably expensive. But I buy popcorn almost everytime I go to a movie. It is a ritual/bad habit. I sometimes tell my friends that I go to movies so often because I love the popcorn (and I travel often because I love flying in an aeroplane). haha.

BTW In one of the cinemas I go to there is this strange woman who shushes and scolds people when they laugh (!) during a comedy or make noises when eating popcorn (apparently we often go to the same shows). :rolleyes:

And the cinema manager must love you too.

The only reason I do not eat is I can not focus on something else while I'm eating. Or should I say, I am a very focused eater. Even when watching a movie on a plane, I will have to pause it if the food is served. If I don't feel hungry or the movie is too good to take a break from, I will pass the meal to watch it. For similar reason I don't drink. Because I can't go to the toilet while the movie is still playing. :P