Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

In regards to the page limit, we don't know. They do state a 20 page limit, but I have not heard of anyone being rejected for going over.

@samiam876

I have not met any students from Jamaica (if that is where you friend is from). There isn't really any interaction between the classes, so we tend to stick around our own classmates.

@Brian US

did you notice man, 90% of the people applying are going for one-two year language program :S .. that really amazes me.. I mean why would anybody spend their two years on a language program? I mean they can use those 2 years into masters or M.Phil or even Ph.d ? I'm confused ..

• Like 2

• New Members

masters/phd from china wont likely get you very far in life. moreover western masters/phd are funded so getting the scholarship to get one in china is not even a redeeming factor. Also chinese masters seem to be several years long. Id rater get my tuition paid and a 15.5K stipend to get a 8 month masters of stat from university of toronto than spend 3 years getting a masters of stat in china that no one out of china would recognize. Apparently some of the programs at tsinghua and beida are fairly well recognized but even then its likely not worth the extra 2 years for the program + the language barrier. Not to mention you would have to spend 1-2 years studying mandarin full time before getting accepted to the masters anyway.

• Like 1

Lets keep the discussion to CSC specific and not the pros/cons of studying in China in general. Those applying to the CSC scholarship have already made the decision to study in China. Feel free to start your own topic or continue discussions already on the forums.

• Like 2

• New Members

1) What is your native country? France

2) Where did you apply? Mission of PRC to the European Union (Brussels office)

3) When did you apply? Late January 2011

4) When was the deadline? March 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year Chinese language program.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Peking University 2. BLCU (Beijing Language and Culture University) 3. Beihang University Beijing

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes, applied the 1st of April 2011 (application starting day) through a local friend in Beijing directly at Peking University, for Chinese class ("short term", as they say, cause on a 3-month-basis) starting in September 2011.

Don't really know if it helps though, but if as you said the Mission of the PRC to the EU send applications to the CSC in Beijing, which dispatches to the universities we applied, and that this university (for my case, Peking Uni) have my name written already somewhere in the list of new students (from September), with a place "booked" already, it would help maybe?? Honnestly, no damned idea. I took the risk. FYI, I paid like 400 RMB (around 40 euros) registration fee for Peking Uni. The fees are not refoundable, thinking of giving a try there if no scholarship at all.... would suck though. I haven't applied for, and neither contacted the 2 other universities of my list.

9) What agency number did you use? EU (00006 - something like that), the number they gave us in the application documents

10) Where did you get your physical done? hospital

11) How did you get your documents notarized? French documents have most of the time a stamp and signature on it (diplomas, certificates), didn't feel the need to do official notarization

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? uh?? I put some Belgian stamps in my file, cause basically they'll send a mail back from Belgium, to France... in July?? Honnestly, this application was damned complicated. And results very uncertain, especially for the EU. Sounds like being Canadian makes things easier ? you can correct me if I'm wrong.

An interesting information for my fellow European compatriots ! I received from Mr Ke, coordinator for the PRC - EU Mission, this email last week, after a random question I asked:

<<Dear scholarship applicant,

Thank you for your email.

Please be kindly reminded that the deadline for application is March 30, 2011 and we have closed the gate for application. The pre-selection result will be released on our website (www.chinamission.be) at the end of July or early August. The month of April is for evaluation of applications which exceeded

700 for next academic year. If you have any questions, please go to the webslite of China Scholarship Council (www.csc.edu.cn) for information.

Best wishes and good luck!>>

Reminding: we have 100 scholarships available. 1 chance out of 7 or more ! Good luck then, says Mr Ke ! <_< That's pretty few, curious how they gonna select it... not much hope left... :blink:

1) What is your native country? Germany

2) Where did you apply? EU Embassy in Brussels

3) When did you apply? ~ March 25th 2011

4) When was the deadline? March 30th 2011

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? Nope.

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY 2. RENMIN UNIVERSITY OF CHINA 3. TIANJIN UNIVERSITY

8) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? EU (00006)

10) Where did you get your physical done? @ My General Practitioner's.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? At the municipal office of my hometown.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? what?

@ben_bnw:

Last year I had the same concerns, but finally I decided not to register at the university. Because if you enroll, it shows them that you have the money to go there. Why should they give the scholarship?

If you have already been studied at the university, maybe it could be an advantage (of course in case you were a good student ;) ).

And about the chances... well maybe 1:7 is not much, but according to my observation, there should be some factors, that can increase (or decrease) your chances (of course there should be excemptions, but talking with some of them who won the scholarship - including myself, maybe it can be true):

A EU window scholarship 'winner' profile is:

- a bit older

- with not so good (the poorer the better) Chinese, and if it's possible the major has nothing to do with Chinese

- came from the "new" EU countries (look at the list from the last year, just the names full of Romanian, Polish, Hungarian etc.)

- did not chose the most popular Beijing-Shanghai places (Tsinghua, Fudan, Beida etc.)

Oh yes, and the Chinese red stamp is not for the envelope, it's for documents (the "cachet") because in Chinese they put everywhere red stamps (even if you buy a piece of toilet paper you get a red stamp on the bill). They like it :)

The red colour is very popular in China, as we know :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I think just because you are older Eastern European, speak poor Chinese and apply to places where nobody else apply, doesn't mean you can secure you place for the EU-Window Scholarship. It doesn't really matter which schools you select, partly luck, partly you good records and achievements and how convincing your motivation letter is. Good luck!

@Keown

Sorry, I don't wanted to be offensive, or discouraging anybody. I just told my experience, and some statistical hocus-pocus of the last year.

Of course, anybody can get the scholarship (that's why I am here in China B) )!

加油!

• Like 1

everybody's applying for one year language program :P

I have applied for Nanchang University, Bachelors in ENGLISH.. I wonder if CSC offers scholarships to students who wish to study in English medium :s ..

• Like 1

1) What is your native country? Malaysia

2) Where did you apply? Chinese Embassy in Malaysia

3) When did you apply? February 2011

4) When was the deadline? April 30th 2011

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time

6) What program did you apply for? Undergraduate program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Dalian University of Foreign Languages, 2. Peking University, 3. Beijing University of Foreign Studies

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Nope

9) What agency number did you use? Number of Chinese Embassy in Malaysia

10) Where did you get your physical done? Hospital

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I translated all the documents on my own then they were notarized by English language lecturer (is this acceptable?)

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? What?

#I applied for bachelor's degree in Korean. I hope they will consider taking me.

1) What is your native country? Indonesia

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

3) When did you apply? around last week in March, 2011

4) When was the deadline? April 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this is my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Liaonin University 2. Dalian Foreign Language University 3. Liaoning Normal University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No, but i once email them, and no reply until now.

9) What agency number did you use? Asian Network

10) Where did you get your physical done? some laboratory near where i lived

11) How did you get your documents notarized? back to campus and paid them to stamp it to make it looks like legalized

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? i don't get it

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I don't know yet, but chinese embassy in Jakarta sent me an email (with 19 other person who applied). the email content :

" I notify you passed Chinese Embassy auditing on your application for studying in China under Chinese Government Scholarship. What you need to do next is to fill online application forms. Please download the finished application form and print it out for two copies. Please prepare the two copies and other supporting documents as required and send the full package of application documents to the Chinese Embassy before May 9th,2011"

what makes me confuse is, i already sent them 2 copies of my complete application, and now they ask me to send another two? the question is, do i send the same one that i sent before? the different only in the agency number, the first time i used the asian network agency number, then on the email they sent me, they gave me the new agency number which is the chinese embassy in jakarta, indonesia itself.

maybe @Brian US could give me conclusion on this matter?? thanks a lot before~

• New Members

1) What is your native country? U.S.

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Consulate in Chicago, which sent it through The Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.

3) When did you apply? Late March 2011

4) When was the deadline? April 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? 6-year MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine); English-Medium w/intensive Chinese course

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Capital Medical University 2. Fudan University 3.Central South University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes; I got admission in late February

9) What agency number did you use? US Embassy

10) Where did you get your physical done? Clinic in the US (St. Louis!)

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Paid for sealed, notrized transcript

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? Everywhere, baby!

I'll be one of those idiots that calls the CSC because I don't have much faith in the guy I gave it to over at the Chinese Consulate. Pray for me!

@meipe

I suppose, we have to fill the online form with the same agency number to whom you're sending your application..

you should fill the online form again and send it to the new agency number which they gave you.. plus, you can send the same applications along with the documents to the Embassy (again) maybe they didn't get it.. or even if they did, they want it again.. but you have to send the same documents AGAIN to the Embasssy ..

Just what I think you should be doing at this time..

• Like 1

so sad!i checked the online page registration last night and it was written there "your current status:your application was returned from the embassy.reason:incomplete documents".what makes me very upset is because i've been calling the embassy here in malaysia more than twice before the deadline (april 30th) but the officer kept giving me the same answer,"if your documents are incomplete,we will notify you for sure".i tell you what,i submitted my application 2 months earlier from the deadline to prevent things like this happen.but then it happened.does it mean that i got no chance to get this scholarship?and i don't know why,chinese embassy in malaysia doesn't use e-mail.ever time you want to know anything,you must call them.what's more frustrating is that the officer will only be there after 4pm.

@meipie

I have no idea why they would want you to send another application. As time is running short, try to send as much information as you can and contact the office to clear up any questions.

@apetshin

Doesn't sound like the office has things in order, but you are doing the right thing in trying to contact them. Did you send in a hard copy of your application, not just the online application?

I did send the hard copy application. This morning I called the Embassy to confirm about that thing. Tell you what, I was (and still am) very disappointed with the Chinese Embassy in Malaysia. He (the officer) have gotten my application that was being returned by CSC because it was incomplete, but he didn't even tell me! The moment I called him, he asked me to hold on for he needed to check it first and after few minutes the following dialogue happened between us:

Officer:Yes, your application was returned because it's incomplete. You didn't submit two recommendation letters.

Me:So, it can't be helped? I have no chance to get the scholarship? And I need to apply again next year?

Officer: Yes,I'm sorry.

It's true that I didn't submit two recommendation letters because it's written on the application form that only Master's degree and Doctoral applicants need to submit them (or did I get it wrong?) and I only knew about the existence of this forum after I submitted my application.

What makes me even more disappointed is that, the Embassy should do the screening first, right? But it seems like the officer at the Embassy didn't even review my documents and just simply sent them to CSC. And I ended up being disqualified.

Whatever it is, past is past. Everything happens with reasons right? Maybe God has a better plan for me. But for sure, I won't apply again next year. It's too late. I'll just study at local university. By the way, I'll start my first degree this September. To all of you who are waiting for the result, good luck!