Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

I WAS promised a hot meal.

21 User(s) are reading this topic

8 members, 10 guests, 3 anonymous users

Brian US, Keown, roddy, fuzzypin, laonuo, Dr.Haseeb Sattar, extrapages, Princ3zz

• Like 2

Hi all,

Good to hear that news is starting to come through for a lot of people here. Once again i am using a friends phone to drop a quick message here.

I have been informed that the scholarship letter has arrived back in the u.k. (I am still out in the hills, a long way north of beijing). I was informed that tsinghua (my first choice) doesn't accept scholarship students in situations like these and i have received my second choice: tianjin university.

I am of course very happy to have won an EU scholarship but i applied before attending tianjin university for one semester and whilst i like the city and university, the course itself was poor. I understand how lucky i am to have won a scholarship and don't want to appear ungrateful but i do want to check if any of you have had any experience switching universities on a scholarship in a situation like this?

Thanks and a massive good luck to those still waiting - especially those from the US who got conflicting results - not nice!

• Like 1

I have been to Beijing for Monday, my application package arrived to my permanent adress yesterday.

I didnt get any e-mail from EU mission, but I think it is already not important.

"Americans", do you have any news about your final results?

• Like 1

Just got my admission notice through the post! Here's my info;

1) What is your native country? United Kingdom

2) Where did you apply? China Mission to the European Union

3) When did you apply? February 2011

4) When was the deadline? March 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time

6) What program did you apply for? One-Year Language Programme

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Tsinghua University 2. Peking University 3. Beijing University of Language and Culture (BLCU)

8) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? China Mission to the EU

10) Where did you get your physical done? Done through my GP at a cost of £300

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I didn't get any documents notarised. I asked my University to send me another transcript. I cleared this with Mr. Ke Changqing before sending.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? Just go to a Chinese bank and try and deposit some money!

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2011.

14) How were you notified? My name is on the list on the China Mission to the EU website (http://www.chinamission.be/chn/zogx/jyjl/zgzfjxjxm/t839563.htm). Received admission notice in the post today.

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted mid-July 2011

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Tsinghua University, Chinese Language.

Best of luck to all those from the US, Pakistan and elsewhere still waiting to hear!

• Like 1

@ xiaohouzi

Very well done. I was told tsingua would not accept scholarship students so you must have done very well. I am still happy to get the scholarship, of course. I will list my info as requested as soon as i get chance.

Best of luck to all those still waiting.

@ xiaohouzi Congrats Dear..

300 pound for physical Ohh god...You know in pakistan you can done your physical without any any cost in Govt Hospital and In govt Hospital you have free facility for X-Ray,ECG etc..I did my physical from My senior PGT (heheh i am doctor as well)..

COngrats to all who got schoalrship..

In pakistan we still have to wait because Our results has arrived 2 weeks back in china embassy but Embassy donot release Or Handed over results to China Culture office Yet..

@Haseeb & xiaohouzi I did my physical in China... not really a physical... I had a Chinese friend take me in, after saying hello to his doctor friend, the doctor went into the back, and in 5 minutes she came back with my complete physical! China must really be advanced in the medical field to be able to do a physical without me present. I offered to pay, she said no. I offered to buy her KFC, she said yes. 30RMB.

@US Applicants And why are US results taking so long!? it seems they really are going to wait until the last minute!?

@ HappyCSCscholar

What you were told by LA was indeed the process for many years. It seems like they bit off more than they could chew this year, so to speak, somehow expecting that more people would be denied at the university level than is usually the case. According to my school, they have never had the students they admitted be denied later on.

As to whether the final word is really in the CSC's hands or the embassy's hands, at this point I don't know anybody who knows, and it is unlikely we are going to find out an accurate answer. Even officials at my school don't really know. Welcome to the byzantine, Kafkaesque world of Chinese bureaucracy.

I'm very sorry you quit your job and then met with this situation.

I tried to contact you earlier but for some reasons I can't send any messages or anything. I hope this will work.

I have a very similar situation to you. I was also awarded the EU scholarship. While I should be grateful because I do find myself extremely lucky and I know how everybody else who was not awarded it was counting on it, I can't really hide the fact that I am very disappointed.

I was given a scholarship to Zhejiang Normal University in Jinhua, near Hangzhou. It is not suitable for me for the reason that I am a PhD student (from Manchester Uni btw:) doing research on Beijing itself...this scholarship was my long-awaited chance to do my research. I cannot be based anywhere else, as I already spent a year learning all details about my research in Beijing and writing some chapters of my thesis already. I applied for three universities in BJ and stressed it in my application, but it was still ignored. While Jinhua is an amazing place to live (lovely weather) and there are few foreigners, so one can practice Chinese all the time, it is not at all good news to me :( But it could be great for somebody else!

I called mr Ke Changqing literally begging to change to ANY university in Beijing, but was irreconcilable...:(

I am replying to your post, because I was thinking if we could swap? That would be of some help for me actually...because Tianjin is close to BJ and I could still somehow do my research...Are you in Manchester now? We could call the embassy together and convince them...if you would be interested of course.

I am really desperate about it!

Does anybody have a similar experience with swapping places or convincing the embassy to change the scholarship placement?

Thanks a lot for this forum, you are great guys!

Regards

I have been accepted by CSC to pursue graduate studies for three years In East University of Science and Technology of China, I will start in September 2011 I have to get from first to third of September 2011 for the student register, I'm a bit confused because they did not send any itinerary to me, just admission letter from the university. I will take a plane to shanghai and I think a taxi from there to college, will not make the year of Chinese language that got me a little sad, I do not know sure If Ill take classes in Chinese language at the same time of master, I need help or guidance from someone please! If someone is at the same university please we keep in touch!this is my email alied287@hotmail.com

BigTops@ - thank you very much for your kind words of condolescences. So now I have to decide whether I should go to PKU or HKU since both will now cost me the same b/c it appears that maybe I will not get the CSC scholarship... Anyway, I hope the best for everyone. In the long term, an education in China and learning Chinese is very valuable, and I know I won't regret it. Just in the short term, it will be a financial pinch.

• Like 1

I have the CSC Scholarship. Anyone else coming to Beijing Language and Culture University?

It seems I'm going there too.So I'll meet you in september :)

A bit strange thou. I applied to study a TCM masters degree in english (they do it in the unis i applied for).my choices were: Beijing uni of TCM, Shanghai uni of TCM and HEilongjiang uni of TCM. I also put in the application that in the case of there not being the option of studying the courses i asked for in english or if being chosen by a university that only teaches in chinese i'd like to do 2 years of chinese studies beforehand. These options were given in the application form to choose from as you all know.

What i got had nothing to do with any of the wishes i put on the application form. I'm still extremely happy, don't get me wrong. it's just interesting to see that it basically makes no difference what you put down as choices. why do they even bother asking if they don't mean to grant your wishes on the first place hehe.

Now it seems this BLCU was the top choice for many people. and i got sent there without even knowing anything about it. Seems i'm gonna be studying at one of the best places.

Has anyone been given a masters degree through the EU window at all. just interested to see. Someone (i think it was Marietta) on the forum a few weeks ago said that the CSC only gives one year language courses. I doubted it at first because why would they include the choice to do masters and phds in the application form. Now it seems this may have been correct, since i've only been given a year of chinese language instead of the masters degree i asked for

They do give scholarships to Master degree applicants. I've never heard of anyone applying for a program taught in English, but they give scholarships to those who've applied for a Master degree program taught in Chinese given that they have already studied Chinese in China. A good command of Chinese is required.

A similar thing happened to me. BLCU was not on my list. My first choice was Peking University, too. Maybe that university sends language students to BLCU. How you ended up being a language student? I've no idea. Maybe you should apply for Masters next year. I'm thinking of applying for Masters. If the pollution is not that bad...

Also, I applied to study one year as a Chinese Language Student and when I received the documents, it was written that I've been accepted as a General Scholar.