Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

@snowflakes

You should be able to message other members, but we should keep the discussion public so everyone can benefit from the information. Odds are if you have a question then someone else has/will have the same question.

I will look into starting the next topic in September, but feel free to ask here.

In regards to Project 211 schools, there are some interesting statistics found on the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_211

Has a list of schools and says:

China now has more than 1,700 standard institutions of higher education, and about 6 percent of them are 211 Project institutions. 211 Project schools take on the responsibility of training four-fifths of doctoral students, two-thirds of graduate students, half of students from abroad and one-third of undergraduates. They offer 85% of the state's key subjects, hold 96 percent of the state's key laboratories, and utilize 70% of scientific research funding.

Along with everything else the CSC does, increasing/decreasing odds depending on your school is up for debate. Seeing as many students still get selected after not getting into their top three choices shows the CSC will put forth effort in finding you a school.

It would be great if people who hear rumours and so on could be more specific about where, when and who from.

My tip regarding Ordinary National versus Project 211 schools was circulated to me in Nanjing, in June and from a person I met whilst visting a friend. This person had heard from an other person, who had heard of a person, at an unknown place or date; who had listed two Ordinary National institutions as her first and second preferences yet received full scholarship at her third preference; a Project 211 university. Due to the nature of this information, in my opinion, reflecting that of a circulation of an unverified truth, I understood the information to be rumour.

I regarded these particular details as irrelevant, and I omitted them from my original entry.

I would however, like to make note that my post scripted "Tip for future applicants" was intended to be helpful for potential students thinking about which University to apply to for 2012, as I know what a long and uneasy task that can be.

Stating that this "tip" was based only on my own experience and rumour, my hope was, and is, that it not be taken as absolute fact.

@HappyCSCscholar and snnbear16:

I contacted the DC embassy and they told me: The Embassy accepts application from all over the US.

I contacted the LA consulate and they said: We mostly take applications from universities in the Southern California area. If you had success at the DC embassy before, you should re-apply there.

It seems to me that the consulate and embassy personnel do not necessarily agree with "apply local" strategy.

Hi Helios,

Hmmm...that sounds interesting. A gentleman from CSC and two people from the LA consulate told me something different...oh well. What is the local school you are affiliated with? I am assuming from SoCal? So maybe a clarification needs to be established? When they mean "local" do they mean local school or do they mean locality of residence?

@HappyCSCscholar:

Actually, I think what you heard and what I heard are the same thing. You applied via a university located in Southern California, and I applied as an individual. The lady at the LA consulate said that they handle applications from universities in the SoCal area, which would probably include you. However, as I have no affiliation, it seems I have some liberty as to where I send my application. That's what I'm thinking, anyways.

1) What is your native country? America

2) Where did you apply? Washington DC Chinese Embassy

3) When did you apply? March 2011

4) When was the deadline? April 30th?

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? Once, last year, did not receive.

6) What program did you apply for? Chinese Language studies

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. CCNU 2. TFSU 3. BFSU

8) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes, to CCNU

9) What agency number did you use? Washington DC Embassy number

10) Where did you get your physical done? That clinic in Haidian, close to subway line 13 stop Xierqi

11) How did you get your documents notarized? A friend of a friend, it looked official to me

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? A friend of a friend, it looked official to me

Finally, for those getting results:

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes

14) How were you notified? E-mail and regular mail

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted mid July 2011

16) What school and program were you accepted to? CCNU 1 year Chinese language

Well, one year in Beijing, now a year in Wuhan, thanks to everyone in this thread for their help and patience.

• Like 1

@piasano:

You're situation is the opposite of mine. I received the language scholarship last year, but didn't receive it this year (university accepted me, but was denied the scholarship).

What did you do differently between last year and this year? Do you think it made the difference in your acceptance?

Thanks!

I had applied awhile back for the CSC Scholarship and have not found any replies on whether or not I have received the scholarship. I had to send my app to the states to have my parents mail it out and, according to UPS it arrived by the deadline. I haven't received any mail back home, nor an email. I had applied to 3 Universities in Nanjing. Any suggestions on where I could check if I got it or not?? I know it's getting very close to the start of the semester, so, I'm hoping someone on here can give me a lead! Thanks!!

Thank you. Where do I find the contact info for the D.C. office? This may seem a stupid question, but, I searched the forums a bit and couldn't find it. I would just google the DC office, but I am not sure the specific number for dealing with this scholarship. Thank you for your help!

Hello all,

I have received the scholarship for this year and am very happy about it. I will start a masters in music in Beijing in sept 2012, but I have to study Chinese for one year first. They told me to study in BLCU, but I would prefer to stay here in Ireland for the year and study Chinese intensively, save more money, and get better prepared for it. It is so soon to have to leave!

The music college said they think I should be able to do that, but I want to be 100% - I am worried in case I might lose the scholarship if I don't go now. Can anyone advise me on this? I would greatly appreciate it! It is so difficult to get any information about it! And I need to decide this week pretty much.

Thanks!

Daragh

Sorry, forgot the details :)

1) What is your native country? Ireland

2) Where did you apply? Ministry of Education, Dublin

3) When did you apply? March 18th

4) When was the deadline? March 18th :)

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? First Time

6) What program did you apply for? 3 year masters in music

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? CCOM, Shanghai Conservatory, Sichuan Conservatory

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? Irish Ministry of Education

10) Where did you get your physical done? At my family doctor's medical clinic

11) How did you get your documents notarized? My college stamped them

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? .........?

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes

14) How were you notified? By phone

15) When were you accepted/rejected? July 13th

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Central Conservatory of Music, Beijing

@DBH1983

This is going to be the school's call, but you should try and get more information or a second opinion other than the "I think you can do that."

My school told me my first year was for me to prepare, so I was told I could skip some classes for extra tutoring with my grades not being relevant. Your situation is different as you wish to stay in Ireland.

Deae Dr.Haseeb thanks of guiding the students.I also seek help from you.I applied through HEC's collaborated CGSP scholarship 2011.I recieved no mail or call from CSC or ministry or HEC.However School of management of Zhejiang University contacted me and mentioned about my admission.I inquired the International office of Zhejiang university,they refused to give me any details and oriented me to the department in Pakistan through which i applied ( I guess HEC).However HEC is ignorant about the issues.

Where should I seek help in Pakistan.who can deal with me in this issue.I will appreciate if you guide me as I am away from Pakistan.

Dear All, does anyone know about any website,data base or link through which we know about CSC scholarship 2011 awardees (especialy for Pakistan).What is the active/live number of CSC,China.Do they cooperate or reply.I tried email,but always unanswered.

Need urgent attention.

Warm Regards

Ibn-e-Hassan Ansari

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...