Chinese-Forums

4 week intensive mandarin program, advice/suggestions?

BBJohnson

• New Members

I want to study Mandarin in China for four weeks this summer. I have done more research and narrowed my choices down to a summer intensive at Zhejiang university (4 weeks, comprehensive, reading, writing, speaking, 20 hrs per week), or a 4 week, 20 hour a week session with a private instructor at CLI institute in Guilin. I can already speak a little (think basic foreigner aptitude after living in China for a couple of years) but cannot read or write beyond the most basic of characters. So, I am a little worried that if I choose Zhejiang uni that I will be placed in a class that covers vocab I already know, and the only gains I make will be in my reading and writing. At CLI I could focus on my speaking and listening (maybe not the best decision?), but it is far more expensive and I'm not keen on the travel time. Any suggestions from someone who has improved their Chinese through either of these methods?