Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua 2011 Chinese language

stephaniepainter3

I'm 20 and I'm from London, England. I'll be going to Tsinghua this September 2011 as well (September 5th is my induction day). It was my first choice so I was pretty lucky! I chose Tsinghua for it's stunning environment, it's high quality in teaching and it's reputation. To be honest I only picked this for the lols, cos I knew that there was a small chance for me to get in, but I did miraculously. I have no idea what to expect during my stay in China but I feel that it's gonna be an amazing year. By the way, does anyone know how to book for dorms here in Tsinghua? I can't find the website anywhere and there are no instructions.

p.s Is everyone's induction September 5th?

Hey ohitsgary,

Congrats! I heard that students arriving in the fall may have access to a website that lets you book rooms in advance. I arrived during the spring so I had to book a room when I arrived on campus.

Here are some sites that might be useful:

http://intlstudent.cic.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/admission.htm

http://intlstudent.cic.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/campus/accommodation.html

http://intlstudent.cic.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/campus/zijing-apartment.html

Hi Iamchr,

Thanks for the websites. I've actually been on these websites you've just showed me already. Too bad it doesn't really explain much about how to book in advance. What is a AB double room?:S

So you basically turned up and booked your dorm in person?

I've been waiting to reserve a dorm as well! Will be booking an AB Double room. AB Double room is the same as a solo room except that there are two bedrooms in one room. well, it's ideal if you have a friend. i have a friend so we plan to share it. :)

oh and, looking forward to meeting you gary :)

Yo Chris.

So basically you and your friend will split the costs right? you pay 40rmb? How on earth do you book a room? Do I get to stay in my dorm as soon as I land to Beijing or do I have to wait after my enrollment, which is on 5th September. I plan to arrive to Beijing about late August time. And how long is the whole process, and is it first come first serve? Im so confused haha.

Hope to see you soon mate. What's your facebook?

no, it's the same cost as a solo room. 80rmb EACH :( i have no idea on how to book a room but i'm dying to book one already. i already booked a flight and i planned to stay in the dorms. i don't want to hassle myself with that problem T_T

well, i asked a friend of mine and he said that the registration would just take a day. from sept 5 - 7, pick one :) register. and boom. you're done. :) there's an orientation on the 10th of sept and a placement exam on the 8th. good luck to all! XD

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=849219834

go add me up! :) all of you! XD let's have a great stay at beijing you guys :)

• Like 1

oh hey, you're asian too! :) thanks for the map. very informative :)

do learn to bike before you come here, okay? you'll be biking ALL THE TIME. buy a cheap ass bike and a high-security lock. bikes are stolen everywhere.

if anyone knows where to buy second-hand bikes in beijing, do let us know :) i think it's around $50 or cheaper XD

• New Members

Hey guys... I'm just wondering if anyone has received their admission documents yet? Also, how much earlier can we arrive with our student visa into China - I was hoping to scout the area out and find an apartment close by ....around beginning of August..

Any help that can be offered would be great. Thanks so much and looking forward to learning Chinese with you all.

~ Lydia

Hey ohitsgary,

If they do allow you to book in advance, they will send you an e-mail with info on how to to do so. Otherwise, when you arrive on campus you book your room and move in on the spot, similar to checking into a hotel. If that's the case, it's first come first serve. Most students arrive on campus during or a day or two before the registration period. Single rooms tend to disappear quickly.

An AB double room is as ChrisC says, two single rooms with a shared bathroom and "kitchen" between them. The "kitchen" only consists of a sink and countertop. On the other hand, a single room has a private bathroom and may or may not have a "kitchen." Singles and double AB rooms are the same price, 80RMB per day per person.

Hey ChrisC,

Biking is by far the most convenient way to get around campus, but it isn't absolutely necessary to have one. If you do decide to get a bike, I wouldn't recommend getting the cheapest one. The cheapest new bikes go for 200RMB and constantly break down. Decent new bikes can be had for 300 to 400 RMB and there are bike shops (more like stalls) all over campus. You can probably negotiate the price down further. I'm not sure of places that sell used bikes. I have heard reports of bicycles being stolen, but sometimes students just forget where they park their bike.

oooh, that's great! 300 to 400RMB sounds nice to me :) is there anyway to sell it though? we can't take the bike back to our homeland.

and i do hope they allow us to book online otherwise... :( i'll be arriving by sept 5th around 1AM. if there won't be a dorm to go to then that's pretty much a hassle for me and my friend T_T

A lot of students post flyers in the lobby to sell off their used stuff at the end of the semester. Or you could try selling the bike back to the stall you bought it from.

I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems getting a room if you arrive on the first day of registration. Plus, I believe the reception is open 24 hours. I think the students who arrive on the last day of registration or after that may have problems getting a room.

Thanks lamchr. By the way, saw your facebook. May I say, impressive background info! Woooooo. You're intimidating! Also, thanks for the tips about that. Will try and look for that and I'm glad to hear that. We'll be arriving midnight, so I guess that's not so bad. No competition :)

To everyone else out there, let's add each other up @ facebook! :)

To everyone else out there, let's add each other up @ facebook

And promptly lose touch as soon as you get to China. Make sure you have some way of accessing Facebook if you rely on it.