Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua 2011 Chinese language

stephaniepainter3

Are any of you going to try to get the discounted room rate? When I signed up for the dorms, it told me my dorm check-in date is Aug. 19. On the website it says “For the new students who check in just one week before the registration time on the admission notice, we charge as the favorable room price. For those who check in before over one week, we charge normal room price for the days ahead of time”. Am I correct in interpreting that to mean I need to check in on Aug. 12 to get the discounted room rate?

Hi, LoisLane

WOAAAH, i thought the dorm check-in dates were from Aug 29 to Sept 5 (or something like that) only! Check again! :)

"No, you read wrong. This is what it said:

"For the new students who check in just one week before the registration time on the admission notice, we charge as the favorable room price. For those who check in before over one week, we charge normal room price for the days ahead of time;"

you pay 160rmb/day if you went to tsinghua like say, August 16. aug 16 to 28 = 160rmb / day while aug 29 till jan 31 = 80 rmb/day"

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I'm a little perplexed. This is the notice I got verbatim when I was reserving my dorm room:

Hello, MEGAN!

Your operation is:Book Single room

The time of check-in is 2011-8-19

518.13RMB should be paid. (including 500RMB deposit and 18.13RMB commission charge)Remarks: The 500RMB deposit will be reckoned in your room rent, and the deposit will not be returned if you don’t check in our apartment on time after successful reservation.Reservation could be operated only after successuful payment, the information could not be revised once paid successfully.

Hello MEGAN

Congratulations!

You have reserved your room successfully.

Your Reservation: Single room

Where are you looking for the check-in date information? I looked all over the website, but the only check-in time I saw was from the confirmation I had received my dorm. My travel agent called the dorms before registration began and asked about the check-in and they told him I wouldn't know the dorm check-in date until I actually reserved my dorm, which leads me to believe they mean the check-in on the admission notice for the dorms and not for the school. What did your reservation notice check-in time say?

Hey LoisLane, this is mine:

Hello, -. Welcome to the Room Application System!

Your room application result is AB room(Paid)(2011-9-5)

You can find it after logging in then clicking on AGREE before the rules and stuff. It's above the option "Reservation Information".

Hey All,

Starting Tsinghua in the Fall for the beginner Mandarin course. Currently, live in the UK and super pumped for Beijing. Haven't been able to book international student dorms for accommodation, thus, if anyone has information about flats in Wudaokou would be much obliged if they would pass it on.

Cheers.

• New Members

Hey everyone, i am also going to be studying Chinese Language at beginners level at Tsinghua during the Fall this year so i just wanted to say hi!

Also, if anyone knows any tips for not getting taken advantage of when applying to an agent about an apartment it would be much appreciated.

See you soon. By the way my name is Nat and i am from Melbourne, Australia.

:)

I'm sorry if this post is a little off topic and if this is a stupid question, but I just need a simple reply to this question I can't seem to find answers for :).

When you book a dorm room at Qinghua (or any university for that matter), does the booking apply for the duration of years you are studying at the university? Or do you have to register for a new room each year?

Again, sorry if this is the most idiotic question... haha.

-Kike

Hi Kike, i believe the dorm rent is per semester :) well, that's what i know but maybe i'm wrong because i think there are alot of dorms in tsing hua. in this thread, we talk about the international student's apartments. maybe if you get the regular one then it would be different.

it wasn't a stupid question because it made me think. lol.

hope it helped.

Hey Kike,

I'm not sure about the experience at other universities, but at Tsinghua you rent your room for each semester, paying six months' rent up front. If you decide to leave prior to your six months being used up, you will get refunded the difference when you check out. When you register for classes for the following semester, you have the option of renewing the same room for another six months. You can also change rooms during or after the semester, based on availability and only after you have spent two months living in your assigned room.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. There are no dumb questions, only ones that have been previously asked on the forum.

Hey there!

I'll be studying Chinese at Tsinghua as weel as from September. I'm a Belgian fellow (native French speaker). So if you're still looking for a French speaking mate, maybe we could meet up for lunch one of these days. I'll arrive in Beijing on the 26th of August.

Best,

Julien

Hi, if you finished the semester's chinese language program, will you get a certificate? And if you finished two semesters (one school year) would you get a diploma and stuff or just two certificates (one for last semester and this semester)? thank you very much :)

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone get here ok? I *just* arrived, mammoth journey including delays at dubai international. No sleep for over 24 hours, argh. Against all advice I took the bus from the airport to zhongguancun, where I waited at the side of the road for an hour for a taxi. The driver didn't really know where he was going either, and my barely there mandarin was no help. Take a taxi from the airport kids! Much easier.

Just been to the C building to get some supplies, the campus is buzzing! Going to get some much needed zzz's hope to catch you guys soon!

Ha cheers wutwut. Sleep was somewhat disturbed by the patriotic music and the hours of drill that the kids in blue where doing all day, but slowly starting to adjust now.

How about meeting up for dinner tomorrow, say 7pm outside building 22? Curious to sample the myriad of canteens on campus, my stockpile of dried noodles are running low. If you'd like to come, reply to this thread or send me a PM. I'll check this again tomorrow and hopefully we'll get a few people together.

7pm on Sunday, outside building 22 :)