Chinese-Forums

Spiritual pollution?

Tsunku

I'm reading a book right now called Candy by an author who goes by the name Mian Mian. Loving the book so far, it's got drugs, sex, rock and roll, and is written in a frank, startlingly direct style which really appeals to me. On the back of the book it says that the government called Mian Mian the "poster-child for spiritual pollution," which got me thinking ...

Can anyone recommend any other such spiritually polluting books? I'm mostly looking for underground writers who have been banned in China but remain popular nonetheless. I know stuff like Wild Swans is banned, but I'm not necesarrily looking for that type of literature. I've read about all there is to read bout the evils of the Cultural Revolution and Mao. I'm more thinking of contemporary young authors portraying contemporary life in all its sordid glory.

So, any suggestions?

Candy? Man, I read the translation, and I thought it was trash. If you like books of that genre - there's "Shanghai Baby" by Wen Hui.

My favorite spirtual pollution books are by Wang Shuo. Two books have been translated - "Playing for Thrills" and "Please Don't Call me human"

'>http://www.noexit.co.uk/shuo.htm

If you like books of that genre - there's "Shanghai Baby" by Wen Hui.

actually its (zhou) weihui.

i too like wang shuo...only read him in translation. wang shuo would be among a class of writers whose work would be considered as spiritual pollution in some form or another by some people' date=' but are still able to publish their works. others in this class might include people like mo yan, su tong, liu heng...

another class would be overseas, exiled writers like the poet bei dao whom i would rather have seen win the nobel prize for literature.

another underground writer whose name i am unaware of, actually i think the writer is still anonymous, is the guy who wrote the serial internet story on which the film [i']lan yu[/i] is based. likewise all gay/lesbian literature in china would be considered to be spiritual pollution or deviant. i would assume there is some contemporary ethnic minority writing that would also fit into this counter-cultural space.

spiritual pollution is kind of like liumang in that it has plenty of space in its interpretation. the two overlap at times.

The ending of Shanghai Baby didn't do it for me, maybe those of you that have read it agree, although I won't spoil that ending here. And the protagonist got on my nerves a bit. I didn't mind the style though. Both books made me wonder if Heroin is really a lot more widespread in China than it appears, or if the authors exaggerate. I knew Yunnan had a problem ...