Chinese-Forums

New HSK Writing Section - Score Weight Distrubution?

menyawga

Greetings all. If this question has already been addressed in another post, I apologize.

I take the New HSK 5 on Sunday. I am on the cusp between passing and failing I think. One thing I was worried about was the essay portion because, like many other adult foreign learners, my handwriting skills are fairly lacking. However, I've taken about 5 practice tests, and I've come upon an interesting question.

The listening section has 2 parts totaling 45 questions. I assume each question has equal weight, i.e. get 30 right and have a score of 30/45 = 67%.

The reading portion is similar: 2 parts with 45 questions. I don't see any reason why they would make some questions have more weight than others.

The writing portion has 2 parts, but the first is just copying down a list of randomized words in the correct order to make a sentence. There are 8 of these, and grammatically they're pretty easy for people who are up for the challenge of level 5. Part 2 has 2 80 character essays, one of which must use a set of 5 listed expressions. The other must be written about a picture given.

My question is: does each question in the writing section carry the same weight in the scoring process, i.e. is the word ordering part 80% of the section and the 2 essays are a meager 10% each? If that's the case, then I'll do better in the writing section than in either listening or reading.

The other possibility I can think of is that the 2 parts of this section each comprise 50% of the weight, i.e. the 8 sentences in part 1 are 5.125% each (totaling 50%) with the essays each comprising 25%?

Everything official I have seen online seems straight forward as if the essays are only worth 10% each, but I suspect it might be the latter.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about this at all?

Thanks for your time, and Godspeed in your studies!

-Menyawga

Don't worry too much about the writing. You can do fairly poorly on the writing and still pass/get a high mark on the test. The listening, reading and writing sections each account for 33% of your mark (100 points each), and you only need 180 points to pass. 加油!

• 2 years later...

The official website now has a document explaining the grading for the written test:

http://www.chinesetest.cn/userfiles/file/HSK-pingfen.pdf

and for the speaking test:

http://www.chinesetest.cn/userfiles/file/HSKK-pingfen.pdf

The first file explicitly states for level 5:

完成句子 题量:8 分值:5 满分:40

写短文 题量:2 分值:30 满分:60