Chinese-Forums

Where to donate and sell second hand stuff?

my3rdlang

I will be leaving Shanghai this summer and want to get rid of a lot of my stuff.

Where are good places to sell my Acer laptop (3 years old, in good working condition), Panasonic iron and hairdryer (both are under 2 years old)? Are 2nd hand water dispensers sellable?

Where do you donate stuff?

I want to donate a lot of my clothes and shoes that are still in good condition... brands include G2000, Hush Puppies, Banana Republic, Gap Kids. I know I can simply put them beside bins or give them to Ayi but I would rather give them to people who appreciate brands.

Ummm I don't know if donating usually requires the donater ensuring the donatee has a certain level of brand recognition... :P

But if that's the case off load them on some other foreigners....or do what kenny2006woo said.

I sold all* of my random stuff (not clothes, but mostly small items like pots, pans, utensils, a kettle, etc) to the same people I would sell pop bottles to on a monthly bases....if you look around, you'll probably be able to find people who offer this 'service'. Anyway they came up we negotiated a price and my stuff was gone. Virtually hassle free.

*Granted I didn't turn a huge profit, but it was better than tossing it!

if you look around, you'll probably be able to find people who offer this 'service'.

I agree.

When I moved a few years ago, I "sold" a fridge and a washing machine to a guy who collected these things and I had prepared to "pay" him for his service as long as he would take those things away. I was very relieved that he was willing to pay HKD40 and agreed to collect 2 more mal-functioning electrical fans. :P

Where do you donate stuff?

I want to donate a lot of my clothes and shoes that are still in good condition... brands include G2000, Hush Puppies, Banana Republic, Gap Kids. I know I can simply put them beside bins or give them to Ayi but I would rather give them to people who appreciate brands.

Why don't you donate them to charity ? The people that get the clothes might not appreciate brands but I am sure they will appreciate it to have new clothes to wear.

Thank you for all the responses.

@kenny: Baixingwang seems like a good place to sell my laptop.

@heifeng and skylee: I agree with you. Every morning I hear 回收冰箱电脑空调洗衣机. I doubt they collect clothes though.

@langxia: I actually tried searching for charities in my district (静安区) but couldn't find any. I am not willing to carry my clothes and shoes (I probably have 10 or 20kg of them) far away just to donate them. Are there places out there that will pick at my place?

I don't know much about charitys in china. the only ones I have seen is at our university when there was an earthquake or other disaster students from that province collecting money and stuff for the people there.

You could check out the red cross china, they must have an office in Shanghai and can probably tell you if they pick the stuff up or not. (this way you can also be sure that it will go to a legit place)

It looks like the official charity in Shanghai is 上海市慈善基金會, which does seem to collect used stuffs/donations. You could take a look at this website -> http://www.scf.org.cn/images/2009csjjh/jw/jw1.html

And where the clothes collected went to -> http://www.shmzj.gov.cn/gb/shmzj/node8/node786/node792/index.html

Or you can contact its Jing'an branch -> http://www.scf.org.cn/csjjh/node4/node53/node1624/node1626/node2290/index.html