Chinese-Forums

Reading ONLY textbook?

herglyphs

Does anyone know of a textbook specifically for only learning to read modern Chinese?

Or a book on the grammar of the written language? I have DeFrancis's "Beginning Chinese Reader" which has many features that I like but there is little in the way of grammar.

In my reading class we are using 中级汉语阅读教程I. Published by 北京大学出版社。ISBN: 978-7-301-04013-3. The first few chapters discuss radicals, the next few chapters discuss the structure of multiple character words. The stories/articles are actually quite interesting.

As far as grammar books, I suggest the Boya (博雅汉语)series also published by 北大。

Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been working on reading this summer between the end of Summer term and the start of Fall classes. I've enjoyed:

Title: Zhong ji Han yu yue du jiao cheng / Zhou Xiaobing, Zhang Shitao zhu bian ; Zhou Xiaobing, Xu Xiaoying bian zhu. 中级汉语阅读敎程 / 周小兵, 张世濤主编 ; 周小兵, 徐霄鹰编著. Publication: Beijing : Beijing da xue chu ban she, 1999 (2001 printing). 北京 : 北京大学出版社, 1999 (2001年重印).

as well as two oldies, but goodies:

Title: Shi yong Han yu ke ben = Practical Chinese reader / Beijing yu yan xue yuan, Liu Xun, Deng Enming, Liu Shehui bian zhu ; Li Peiyuan shen ding. 实用汉语课本 = Practical Chinese reader / 北京语言学院, 刘珣, 邓恩明, 刘社会编著 ; 李培元审订. Publication: Beijing : Shang wu yin shu guan : Zhongguo guo ji tu shu mao yi zong gong si fa xing, 1981-1990. 北京 : 商务印书館 : 中国国际图书贸易总公司发行, 1981-1990.

and

Title: Shi yong Han yu ke ben = Practical Chinese reader / Beijing yu yan xue yuan, Liu Xun, Deng Enming, Liu Shehui bian zhu ; Li Peiyuan shen ding. 实用汉语课本 = Practical Chinese reader / 北京语言学院, 刘珣, 邓恩明, 刘社会编著 ; 李培元审订. Publication: Beijing : Shang wu yin shu guan : Zhongguo guo ji tu shu mao yi zong gong si fa xing, 1981-1990. 北京 : 商务印书館 : 中国国际图书贸易总公司发行, 1981-1990.

These last two are definitely outdated as far as subject matter, but good grammar and examples/writing prompts. Good luck!

• Like 2

That shouldn't be a problem if they're still in print. I'm not sure they could get the last two books xuexiansheng recommended, but you can always try. If your local Xinhua Bookshop can't find them, you could also try an independent bookstore. They're often willing to spend a bit more time looking for a book, in my experience. Still, if it's no longer available from the publisher, they won't always be able to help you get them. In that case you could also look into buying them second-hand online, for example on http://www.kongfz.com/