Chinese-Forums

How much are you paying for watermelons?

my3rdlang

Watermelon prices have gone up a lot this year compared to the past few years.

特小凤:Small, yellow fleshed watermelon, thin rind

Price I have been paying: RMB3.3 per 0.5kg

南汇 8424: Medium, red fleshed watermelon, medium rind

Price I have been paying: RMB2-2.3 per 0.5kg

早春: Small, red fleshed watermelon, medium rind

Price I have been paying: RMB1.5 per 0.5kg

Watermelons were bought this month in 上海静安。

Am I overpaying? How much are you paying for watermelons (especially if you are in Shanghai)?

I remember last summer watermelon (red) got down to 0.4 Rmb/jin in Shijiazhuang. The cheapest I have seen so far this year is 1.5 RMB. I guess all those exploding melons are really having an effect on prices! Should get cheaper during the next month or so though.

Last year when I was in Jinghong in Yunnan, a guy had just bought a watermelon from one of those melon trucks. When he saw me, he shouted "hello" in one of those pathetic voices that makes you wonder whether they're deliberately taking the mick, and not paying due attention, the melon slipped out of his hand and smashed into several pieces on the street.

Ah, even though I felt a bit mean for doing so, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. The guy, looking rather sheepish, proceeded to retrieve some of the larger melon pieces. I'd love to know how he explained returning home with half a smashed up melon. :lol:

• Like 1

Last year, Shanghai prices was around like 1.6/jin. Haven't gone back yet this year. However if you read the news, there's been a case of exploding watermelons hence why supply is very low right now

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110517/ap_on_fe_st/as_china_exploding_watermelons

Also, it's still May so watermelons aren't in season yet explaining the higher prices.

0.4/jin is pretty cheap. You sure those were real water melons?

Tasted real. Didn't know fake watermelons had hit the market :o

Perhaps they had a big surplus last year. Its still too early now but the price should come down in a month or so. Being a tier two city Shijiazhuang is usually cheaper than other places anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...