Chinese-Forums

Moving to Harbin from Australia

bickcam

Hi my husband has been seconded to Harbin for a year we are coming over around September. Any tips on what we should bring with us? We have 2 small children both under 3, is there much to do for kids?

Also where is a good spot to live? Our accommodation will be paid for by my husband's employer. If I was to get a job what is the cost of Childcare? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Harbin is very cold, but you can buy all you need there to keep you warm (unless you are a very large size or have long feet).

Childcare for a local kindergarten is probably around 500RMB a month but if you want premium then I estimate it would be more like 2,500 - 3,000RMB for a bilingual kindergarten. I'm not sure if there would be many international options there.

Thanks Aaron I think the climate will be a real shock for us coming from Queensland Australia. We're thinking if I start working we'll throw the kids in the deep end and send them to a Chinese kindy what better way to learn the language!

I second the suggestion that you not bring much clothing with you. Bring mostly underwear, socks, shoes, etc. If you or anyone else that's coming is fairly tall or large, then you might want to bring a bit more. If you're all quite average, you'll find everything you need here for a fraction of the cost.

Decent "childcare" will run you around 1100 RMB/month. I have a 21-month-old son, and while he's not in daycare, I have friends/colleagues whose children are. I don't know of any daycare center here that charges 500 RMB. If they do exist, they're probably not a good place to send your kids to--that's way too low for quality daycare.

As for stuff to do with your kids, there's plenty to do outside when its warm (May - September). The rest of the year can be quite chilly, especially the winter. When it's cold, visiting play places or wondering around shopping malls/supermarkets is really all there is to do with children.

As for the best place to live, this depends on what your willing to pay per month. For a family of four, you'll likely want at least a two bedroom with a good sized living room and kitchen. I'd recommend you go for around 70 - 80 square meters usable. You're likely to pay around 1700 - 2000 RMB/month for that size of a place in average, not-so-affluent areas. If you're willing to pay more, you'll have more options.

Commuting in this city during the winter can be a challenge. I recommend you look for an apartment nearby your husband's office.

• Like 1