Chinese-Forums

Beijing Foreign Studies University 2011

cheung3k

Hello everyone,

My name is Karen and I'm from a smaller city in Canada. In September I will be heading to Beijing Foreign Studies University for a one year language exchange, I'm super excited!

I am just wondering if anyone else will be going there, or has gone there in the past? Anyone experiences to share?

I'm having trouble finding info about what the life and environment at that school is like... most beijing university blogs I come across are of people who went to Tsinghua or BLCU.

Look forward to meeting anyone else going to BFSU, or anyone else who is heading off to Beijing this fall! =)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend, both from Finland, are coming to BFSU in September to study Certificate in Chinese Business studies. It's a one year program in Solbridge international school of business. I think it's open for foreign students now for the second year so pretty new thing.

I think we are one of the few who are coming to study something else than Chinese. Even though we are not coming for the same program I wouldn't see it as an obstacle for seeing other Western students.

It would be great to have few contacts right at the start of this exciting year so we wouldn't feel so lonely. I think most of the students in our program are foreigners but we should all stick together especially in a place like China. :)

Btw it is our first time in China so can't share any experiences

When are you going to Beijing? We will arrive 22.8 because we are trying to find a place for us before school starts and I think it would be easier if you'd understand the place a little bit when you have to start navigating to places.

I guess you are going solo? If you are arriving like a week before classes start it could get lonely and if you are, just contact us. I think you can PM me or something, don't really know how these forums work yet, but it would be cool to get to know people right from the get-go.

• 1 month later...

Hi Karen! I am going to BFSU in September as well to study Chinese language for a year. I am a scholarship student. I am having trouble finding info about the campus, accomodation, etc as well. The university told me that they will give me a double room in bailou. I hope the rooms are nice. Are you going to live on campus as well?

I found some pictures and videos of BFSU campus and dormitories from youtube and flickr. There is not much information about BFSU that might be due to the fact that there is not that many foreign students like in other universities in Beijing. This might change now since they opened this new program for foreigners which I am attending also, "Certificate in Chinese business studies" has only been for Chinese people before but now is open for the 2nd year, this is what they told me.

I will post more about studying in BFSU for sure since there is serious lack on information at the moment but as I am living off campus I can not really provide information about campus accommodation.

Hope to see you guys there!

I am going to BFSU for a year. I am a scholarship student. The university told me that I will be living in a double room in bai lou. Could anyone who has ever lived in this building tell me what it is like please? What are the rooms, bathrooms like? How many people share a bathroom?

Hello~ I received the CSC scholarship to attend BFSU as well. Double rooms in bailou do not have their own private bathrooms. each floor has public bathroom/shower facilities that are shared among the people living on that floor. I have no idea how many stalls there are though.

Here's a youtube video showing a single bed dorm room in the bailou, looks not bad...

May I also ask where you are from? Perhaps we will run into each other eventually!

Thanks Cheung3k. I had a look at that youtube videos. The rooms look ok. I don't know if I really like the idea of using a public bathroom/ shower but I guess it will be ok. I just hope it's clean! :P

I am from Ireland. I am sure we will run into each other there. :) What date are you going there?

Wow! Sorry for the late replies~ I almost forgot that I had even started this forum thread.

aspi:

yes! Meeting up sounds fantastic~ I will leave a message here or send you a pm once I arrive and am settled in.

wo shi xuesheng:

Yes. I will be living in the bailou dorms as well. However, I've arranged to pay the difference in cost to stay in a single bedroom. Hope to see you soon! Only 11 more days before I take off!

Hello everybody,

I am a Dutch student and I will be studying Chinese for one year at BFSU, starting next month! I will probably fly to Beijing on the 28th of August, so next Sunday. My admission notice, however, clearly states I have to register at the university on either the 31st of on 1 September, so I will be there a few days early. Does anybody know whether it is possible to spend the night on campus a few days before registering? Otherwise I will start looking for a hotel nearby :-)