Chinese-Forums

*Plaintext* Annotator/Mass dictionary lookup

valikor

[sparksnotes version: Do you know any annotators or dictionaries that would let me look up many words at the same time, with an output that looks something like the list below? I've already put the characters into groups.]

Hi folks, I'm in the middle of the (long) process of grouping the 5,000 most used characters into groups for easier memorization. For example:

嘈 [cáo] bustling; tumultuous; noisy

曹 [cáo] class or grade; generation; plaintiff and defendant (old); government department (old); surname Cao; Zhou Dynasty vassal state

槽 [cáo] trough; manger; groove; channel

漕 [cáo] transport by water; watercourse; canal

糟 [zāo] dregs; draff; pickled in wine; rotten; messy; ruined

遭 [zāo] to meet by chance (usually with misfortune); classifier for events: time, turn, incident

蟀 [shuài] cricket

率 [lǜ] rate; frequency [shuài] to lead; to command; rash; hasty; frank; straightforward; generally; usually

摔 [shuāi] to throw down; to fall; to drop and break

滔 [tāo] overflow; torrent-dash

稻 [dào] paddy; rice (Oraza sativa)

蹈 [dǎo] to tread on; to trample; to stamp; to fulfill;

韬 [tāo] bow case or scabbard; to hide; military strategy

舀 [yǎo] to ladle out; to scoop up

What I'm doing is I'm using this site to find groups of similar characters, then I'm taking the output (usually a huge number of characters, mostly traditional/ancient/rarely used ones) and comparing it to a list of the 5,000 most commonly used characters. This leaves me with a list of characters, and it would take far too long to look up definitions for each one.

The format that you see above (character, then pinyin, then meanings) was the output from some online annotator. It's perfect! The problem is that I forgot which annotator I was using, and for the past hour I've been trying to find it. Most annotators give some fancy output, offering a definition popup when you hover your mouse over a word/character, or something similar. This is obviously not what I want.

Anyone have any idea which annotator can do this? Or if there is a dictionary that would allow me to lookup many words at the same time?

Thanks!

David

Is it this one? The output is close, anyway:

Original word Pinyin-tone marks English

嘈 [cáo] bustling/tumultuous/noisy

曹 [Cáo; cáo] surname Cao/Zhou Dynasty vassal state; company/class/generation

槽 [cáo] feeding trough/groove

漕 [cáo] transport by water/watercourse/canal

糟 [zāo] dregs/draff/pickled in wine/rotten/messy/ruined

遭 [zāo] meet by chance (usually with misfortune)/classifier for events: time, turn, incident

蟀 [shuài] cricket

率 [lǜ; shuài] rate/frequency; to lead/to command/rash/hasty/frank/straightforward/generally/usually

摔 [shuāi] to throw down/to fall/to drop and break

滔 [tāo] overflow/torrent-dash

稻 [dào] paddy/rice (Oraza sativa)

蹈 [dǎo] to tread on/to trample/to stamp/to fulfill

韬 [tāo] bow case or scabbard/to hide/military strategy

舀 [yǎo] to ladle out/to scoop up

• Like 1

Google Translate will give you a definition (pretty good ones), but not pinyin. I usually take words from the first column of a spreadsheet, copy them into Google Translate and then copy the english into the second column of the spreadsheet.