Chinese-Forums

meaning of "capacity requirements"

Kenny同志

When referring to computing resources for information processing, those requirements define the capabilities of the computing resources. Examples of performance and capacity requirements are:

Throughput (transactions per second).

Average or maximum transaction time.

Data storage capacity

Network bandwidth.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thank you David, so can I reword the sentence as follows:

There must be documented information or a document which stipulates the performance and capacity the information systems are required to achieve or have?

I know the reworded sentence is somewhat awkward but at this moment, I can’t figure out a better way to say it.

Does the reworded sentence mean the same thing as the original?

To me, I prefer the first one. Yes, it uses technical jargon, but the technical jargon is well defined. To someone in that field, "capacity requirements" has a set and known meaning; in contrast, I find "performance and capacity the information systems are required to achieve or have" too vague.

That is, of course, assuming this is betting written for people "in that field".

• Like 1

Thank you Jbradfor. I know the original sounds better. I just want to make sure I understand it correctly.

What if the password history count is limited to five?

And what if the password must contain one alpha? Does this mean one has to include in the password athe Greek letter, instead of an English letter?

Sorry for so many questions. (I am translating something.)

What if the password history count is limited to five?

In a lot of systems in which one is required to change passwords on a regular basis, one can not reuse a password for a certain number of password changes. So this means that the system remembers [1] the last 5 passwords, and does not allow one to reuse one of the last 5 passwords.

[1] Actually, this is not quite correct. Due to not wanting to store the actual password, which can be a security risk, it stores the approximate password. So typically a fuzzy match is done, meaning that the system might think you are reusing an old password, when in actuality one is using a new but similar password.

And what if the password must contain one alpha? Does this mean one has to include in the password athe Greek letter, instead of an English letter?

Alpha = letter of the (usually roman) alphabet. Alphanumeric = letter of the alphabet or a number (0-9). This is as opposed to a punctuation mark.

Sorry for so many questions. (I am translating something.)

So we gathered ;)

• Like 1