Chinese-Forums

City recommendations?

Guest Liz20016

I am hoping to teach English and study Mandarin Chinese next year, and I need to decide between the following cities. I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who has heard about or been to these cities: Wuhan, Dalian, Harbin, Hangzhou, and Ningbo. I realize that Mandarin is not as widely spoken in Hangzhou and Ningbo, but I am still considering these cities as well. Thank you!

I've been to Wuhan, Harbin and Hangzhou. I've stayed in each of these cities for about a week. Out of these three cities, I would pick Hangzhou. Both Wuhan and Harbin are pretty typical cities. Wuhan gets pretty hot during the summer and Harbin is freezing during the winter. However, during the winter in Harbin, there are many ice and snow sculptures around the city and contests held in parks. Hangzhou was real pretty, especially around the Xi Hu (West Lake).

I vote for Dalian, followed by Hangzhou and Ningbo. Wuhan would be last on my list and Harbin is only fun during the ice festival.

I believe Dalian offers the best language environment and there are good opportunities to make decent money on the side. Dalian is a good Chinese city to live in and features a Wal-Mart for your western provisions. I love Hangzhou too, but folks there tend to speak their own Zhejiang dialect. In Dalian you'll hear standard Mandarin just about everywhere you go.

i 've been studying in hangzhou for the past 2 months at the hangzhou university of commerce and although its not as pretty as alot of people say, i think hangzhou is a really nice place. i haven't been to the other cities you mentioned but even if you don't love hangzhou, u defiently won't hate it. a warning though, its pretty hard to learn chinese when your teaching out here. i know people who've been hear a couple of years and speak bugger all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...