Chinese-Forums

realistic Kung Fu movies or TV series

rezaf

You don't need to know anything about them to start one. You think Renzhe was ALWAYS a Chinese TV expert?

No need to make it an 'official' project - but if you've got time start a new topic for each movie you watch and say what you thought about it, compare it to other similar movies, etc. And if you're making any wordlists or anything, add them in.

Or just watch the movies. That would probably be more fun.

OK, good idea! This way I can practice my English and Chinese at the same time. I won't be able to make it big like the other projects but still it might be useful for some people who also like Kung-Fu movies.

• Like 1

^ Unfortunately, if you check those threads, you'll see people don't tend to participate.

It's a lot of effort, but I enjoyed this project: creating a vocabulary list for the Shaw Brothers film The Swordmates. Thanks again to everyone who helped. I took a VCD with Trad. Chinese/English subs and made hundreds of screenshots of the dialogue. Then I entered the dialogue into Wenlin (using Pleco to look up unknown characters) ten screenshots at a time. From that I derived a vocabulary list.

I'll have to look and see how the people on the TV series projects generate their vocabulary lists.

You're welcome to take the vocabulary list and expand it with words from another film, ideally another Shaw Brothers film from that era.

At the least, you might want to consider being in charge of an "index thread", with short summaries of each, pertinent details (here, the amount of ass-kicking that goes on :P, plus maybe available of word lists, level of Chinese used), and links to the thread discussing each movie (if appropriate).

I'll have to look and see how the people on the TV series projects generate their vocabulary lists.

I have an editor and a movie player open, side-by-side, not maximised. Every time I notice a word I don't know (or I think might be interested for the average learner), I pause, Alt-Tab to the editor, and type the word, then Alt-Tab back and continue the movie.

Afterwards, I run the text file through some scripts, which automatically look up the words in CEDICT and add pinyin and the first three definitions. I do the rest by hand.

It's quite a lot of work, but you get more efficient with time.

• Like 1

Here is what I'm gonna do. With your help I want to choose 10 movies starting from 1960 to 2010(2 movies from each decade), then we can watch and discuss one movie every week. As for the wordlist because most of us are very busy, I'm gonna need 2~3 volunteers with intermediate or advanced level in Chinese so that we can split the movie and make a good wordlist which others can use. from the 60's I have chosen Return of the One-Armed Swordsman and Dragon Gate Inn

First of all do you think that these are good choices? Also who wants to volunteer for the first movie?

• Like 1

I'm going to Beijing and Xian for a week but when I come back I will start this little project and will make a small wordlist for each movie. Hopefully others will help to expand those wordlists.