Chinese-Forums

Pain is love

Guest downey

Hello all, i am new here.

My friend is wanting to know how to write " Pain is love" in chinese. I would like to know if anyone here could show me how that would look, from the online translators i have used i have found these:

痛苦是愛

疼是爱

She will be using it for part of a tattoo so i wanted to see if anyone could show me for sure which way is more accurate. tia

hey, i would like helping u with that, but since i m not a native english speaker, i'm not sure what does the "pain is love" exactly mean, so pls give an explanation. ( does that mean" love is a sort of pains"?)

by the way, we never say 疼是愛 , its not real chinese, even as a native speaker, i cant understand it.

There's probably a more appropriate Chinese expression, or even a single word, that might work better in that context. As cometrue pointed out, 疼是愛 is gramatically how you'd say "pain is love," but that doesn't mean it's "real Chinese." My own inclination would be to use 有 rather than 是 and say "爱有苦," but that's just me. I don't think Chinese generally uses 是 in the same abstract way that we do in English.

cometrue in English if we say "love is pain" it means we cannot have love without also having pain. To feel love means we have to also feel pain.

by the way, we never say 疼是愛 , its not real chinese, even as a native speaker, i cant understand it.

Yes, it's true that 疼是愛 (pain is love) isn't a Chinese saying. However, to say that you can't understand it is false, it clearly means "pain is love".

by the way' date=' we never say 疼是愛 , its not real chinese, even as a native speaker, i cant understand it.[/quote']

Yes, it's true that 疼是愛 (pain is love) isn't a Chinese saying. However, to say that you can't understand it is false, it clearly means "pain is love".

anyway, i think the better translation should be " 爱即痛苦”

sometimes u translate sentense directly( character by charater) , the sentense doesnt work in different languages.

BTW, Thans for Tsunku's explanation.

we cannot have love without also having pain.

没有痛苦的爱是不存在的

To feel love means we have to also feel pain.

感受到爱的同时我们还需感受痛苦。

=> 有爱就有痛苦=> 有爱就有痛= >爱就是痛苦=>爱即痛苦=>爱即痛

yeah, i think the 爱即痛 is better version

the way she explained it to me is, pain is love means that pain equals love, im not sure how to explain it very well but she was looking for the direct translation and not the saying, i told her that most languages like chinese or japanese have symbols that can mean an entire saying but i was not sure what, if any, the chinese had that were similiar.

I'd still go with what sounds best in the language as it is used. You know how we all laugh at Chinglish on signs and T-shirts? The Chinese do the same thing (and really enjoy making fun of tattoos in particular!) :lol:

l0l, yeah, it always mekes a lots of fun when u spoke a totally different language, haha!

so pls correct my chinglish! i would appreciate it!

• 7 months later...