Chinese-Forums

Moluren - anonymous chatting in Chinese

joshuawbb

Just thought I'd share something that's fun and helpful for learning as well as making friends - you may already know it. You've surely heard of Omegle, the site where you press the start button and immediately begin conversing with someone, and just as one would expect there's Moluren, the Chinese copy of it.

Just press the start button, wait a moment, and hey - you're chatting with someone in China. After sifting through a few who usually say hi and disconnect, you'll normally find someone you click with and have a good chat. It's pretty good if you're bored with study and just want to talk for a while when QQ becomes a hassle.

• Like 4

Just tried it. Chatted to one person, who refused to believe I was a foreigner, called me a "cheating ghost" then insulted me a bit more "for continuing to lie, even though I had been found out", then disconnected. :huh:

• Like 4

Yeah, I had a number of people hang up straight away after I replied I was from Australia. Seems to also be a lot of perverts hanging out there. First question is to ask if you're male or female and if you don't answer, or answer male, it also results in instant hangup.

I did manage to have a couple of decent conversations though.

• Like 1

What would be funny is two forum members chatting for a while but only at the last moment realising neither is Chinese. Indeed the number of users is quite modest right now, so as Imron said there's always the chance.

Most of the time you'll start out with the disconnects and guys searching for girls, try not be put off by it though. If anything, the English Omegle is far worse for that. Being honest, all the good conversations I've had - nay, the only conversations I've had - have been with women, because I haven't come across a male yet that doesn't disconnect upon finding out I'm male too. Not that I'm saying something about Chinese guys though. If you find a female and make it known you're not just scouting for girls, then most tend to be willing to chat. Last time, got talking about people-watching and city scenery at night to let off steam after work.

It's a nice way to practice Chinese because all conversations start out simply and can stay that way or move on depending on what you want. Until the topic comes up I don't say my nationality; sometimes as Imron said it scares people off, but after conversing for a while then finding out, many feel fine. Two of three people believed I'm British so far, probably because I'd make mistakes in my Chinese, and the other was a little suspicious since you can't type English on the site - it gets muddled.

The place gets addictive B)

• Like 1

I didn't seem to see any problem with using English. I had one short conversation where the person started out using using English only, trying to show off I guess. He switched to Chinese after I called him on it (haha at first he thought I did that because I didn't understand English), but then he wasn't really the sort of person I wanted to have a conversation with (see above for reasons), and the conversation ended shortly after.

• Like 1

Hmm, now I see what you mean about English. It often deletes spaces and substitutes *** for many letter combinations.

The server seems a bit unstable though, at least for me, it's crashed out several times already.

Nothing but perverts, terrible web-site. Adding random people on QQ is far more productive.

Stranger:晚好

You: 晚上好

Stranger:恩 我男的

You: 我不在乎你是男的还是女的

Stranger:我在乎

You: 晚上好

Stranger:好

Stranger:男女?

You: 有关吗

Stranger:有

You: 有什么关

• Like 2

Stranger:男女?

Yeah, it gets a bit tiring after a while. My current way of dealing with this question is 你是说手术前,还是手术后呢?

That's always good for a laugh... :mrgreen:

But's it's definitely possible to have conversations with some normal people. I just had a string of about 6-7 conversations and not one pervert...

• Like 1

Great site! Ok, first person asked my gender, when I said 男 he (got to be he, right?) hung up. But second person was fine and ... had no idea I wasn't Chinese! First time in my life I've communicated with a Chinese person and they didn't know I was a laowai, I have to admit it was a real thrill. Thanks Joshua for posting the site details.