Chinese-Forums

Need Advanced Book Suggestions

jkhsu

Reading the paper and understanding the news on TV are two different skills.

Good point. I've been augmenting my learning with watching Chinese drama and listening to podcasts in the car.

The problem is that when reading a newspaper you can take your time slowing going over everything, figuring out the occasional new word or grammar pattern, going back to re-read parts you didn't quite understand and so on.

So my assumption when I said to be able to read a newspaper is to be able to read it without much work and quickly. Obviously, if there are word patterns and words I didn't know, hearing it in the news wouldn't be much help.

So my assumption when I said to be able to read a newspaper is to be able to read it without much work and quickly.
Once you get to this stage then yes, you shouldn't have much problem with TV news. My estimate is 5-10 years.

5-10 years to go from knowing nothing to being able to read a newspaper without much work and quickly, where quickly is defined as faster than the speed at which a newsreader speaks on TV.

Of course it also depends on how much effort you put in. Many people can learn for 5-10 years and still be far away from this point. I don't expect too many people could do it in less.

5-10 years to go from knowing nothing to being able to read a newspaper without much work and quickly,

I completely agree with you. And if it's closer to the 5 years, that person most likely would have to be in a Chinese speaking country for most of that time.

• 1 month later...
Does any one have suggestions for advanced level books?

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on Chinese-Forums in a while. However, your post gives me a good opportunity to introduce some new advanced Chinese readers that I just finished this year.

The readers are set up with the goal to help students transition from textbook stories to native level texts. Using the works of Lu Xun, Hu Shi, Zhu Ziqing, etc. I have created a reader with extensive footnotes, author introductions, story introductions, pinyin, and audio files by two native speakers. Illustrations are also used throughout.

The books currently out are:

Capturing Chinese: Short Stories from Lu Xun’s Nahan

Capturing Chinese: Lu Xun’s The Real Story of Ah Q

Capturing Chinese: Lu Xun’s The New Year’s Sacrifice

Capturing Chinese Stories: Prose and Poems from Revolutionary Chinese Authors

I have some plans for future books as well so if you have feedback please let me know.

I have a sample chapter on my website so you can see what you think.

My Website: Capturing Chinese

Cheers,

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1