Chinese-Forums

The Great Internet Slowdown of China

gato

Having aided the management of controlling every technological aspect of the Olympic games through assigning IPv6 addresses to just about everything, I can assure you China is leagues ahead of the West in technology awareness, implementation and subsequently control.

Yeah, George Orwell, eat your heart out!

The behaviour you are experiencing regarding websites sometimes loading, sometimes not, is not random.
I think most people on here kind of already knew that. Any idea what's causing the present slowdown?

To be honest, APAC in general run rings around us Europeans and Americans when it comes to adoption of new network technologies. Money is no object in the Middle East and China for gadgetry that will ultimately have a useful result from being deployed.

I'm beginning to wonder how laughable inter-network computer and handheld device connectivity will look in England when compared to the authoritarian states with their large cash reserves, which can be spent on the newest and greatest hardware infrastructure and design methodology.

Going by trains and general services, things aren't looking too rosey!

Regarding Internet slowdown: if you're using an ISP with a low bandwidth connection to the international world, or there are a large number of users traversing that ISP who are consuming the available external bandwidth: it'll be slow.

Find a small, new ISP with few people who will be accessing international websites, and you may find a noticeable improvement.

However when you're using google images and scroll down to page2, or open a questionable image and suddenly lose connectivity to any google service, that's the great firewall taking effect. You need to remember that when you click on a google search result, normal search or image, you're not actually clicking on the website address.

You're more often than not clicking a link that is a google redirect identifier; which means google can then monitor how many users access a website in a given day, etcetera. Hover over a google search result. Looks like the designation website, doesn't it? Now view the source of the webpage and you'll see what's really happening.

Without doing deep packet inspection it's hard to say whether the firewall sees a bad word or known link ID when searching and then resets the TCP connection, or whether the end website is the one that's automatically blocked.

As google then becomes unavailable for a few minutes, I'm guessing it's the former.

Thus the end tip is: go with a small new ISP and use known SSH secure VPN to enable you to complete your work assignments.

Yeah, George Orwell, eat your heart out!

You are close to the facts.

IPv6 addresses are not 'NAT' (network address translation) routeable.

In fact, they are universally identifiable, even behind a gateway-router. Result: You know what device accessed a particular resource, resulting in incredibly easy tracking of an individuals' usage of websites and any internet connectivity.

I'm beginning to wonder how laughable inter-network computer and handheld device connectivity will look in England when compared to the authoritarian states with their large cash reserves, which can be spent on the newest and greatest hardware infrastructure and design methodology.

I'll take an uncensored internet over dial-up instead of China's internet over SONET OC-192 any day.

• Like 2

IPv6 addresses are not 'NAT' (network address translation) routeable.

IPv6 is meant to be used without NAT. This does not mean NAT technology can't be used with IPv6. Actually it is used. Amongst others it's used as one of the technologies for making IPv4 internet available to IPv6 users. IPv6 adresses are not routable on IPv4 networks.

You are correct; I was really referring to default setup and the way in which devices will operate behind a home router.

Given most electronics will eventually be connected through newer wireless technologies, it really raises numerous security - and thus privacy - concerns.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever had the same experience as mine? I ususally use Google to help me navigate Chinese and English webpages and had been doing fine -because I seldom google politically sensitive words which would always be in vain-untill two days ago when I googled "吸金王", a word perfectly neutral, but Google was just there and motionless, refusing to give me any results.My subsequent attempts were unsuccessful, too. Any idea why this is the case?

By the way, I can google English words, no problem. .

Yes. Google and Gmail have been very slow for me over the last two weeks or so (though not completely blocked). I have also experienced the phenomenon you mention. I have no idea what is going on, but if you are using Firefox, after you have pressed the Google search button (at which point Google appears to freeze), then press the reload arrow to the right of the address bar, and usually your requested search will open, given enough time.

but why wouldn't the censors even allow us to google neutral words

Because some times neutral words take on non-neutral meanings. I'm still waiting for the revolutionaries to start using the first sentence of the national anthem as a call to arms. Be fun to watch them ban that.

The Freegate and the like? I am afraid the Great Firewall is so powerful that these pieces of software and techniques are of very limited use.

I once used the Freegate a few times, but before long it became less than able to help me visit websites blocked by the Firewall, so I gave it up at last.

A lot has been blocked lately from my end, seemingly over the course of a few days. I suppose it's because of National Day coming soon? That usually explains things, or provides an excuse for the CCP to block more severely than usual. So far:

-All versions of F.G. have stopped working, the connection being blocked almost immediately.

-Google went from slow and occasionally blocked a few days ago, to totally blocked regardless of search terms today.

-Gmail went from accessible a few days ago, to very slow and only email subjects accessible yesterday, to fully blocked today (login screen inaccessible).

-Yahoo fully blocked today.

-Range of foreign websites slowed or blocked.

I imagine that as with last year, the block should gradually lift after National Day is over. All the above happened to me here in Xiamen last September/October.

No, it's not free. I currently pay US$96 for 2 years of hosting, which includes SSH access, web-hosting and free domain name renewal for as long as I stay with the hosting provider. This works out to USD $4 a month (RMB 26 a month) - so basically less than RMB 1 per day.

For me, I'm paying that cost anyway because I need the web-hosting, so it's basically free.