Chinese-Forums

Advice needed: Study Mandarin in ShenZhen, China

yellowpower

Hi there

has anyone studied Mandarin in ShenZhen. Can't seem to find much info about chinese language centers attached to Universities in ShenZhen.

Appreciate hearing anyone's experience of Mandarin study there. And what was it like living in ShenZhen compared to Beijing or Shanghai?

Let me know. Thanks.

And what was it like living in ShenZhen compared to Beijing or Shanghai?

ShenZhen is different in many respects: Comfortably warm in winter. Place is smaller. One can see the sky more often. Food is more fun: lots of food is Cantonese, of course. Great Chinese teas selection. Practicing spoken skills is much better in my opinion: in Beijing everybody speaks standard Mandarin (which is not spoken by the rest of China) and in Shanghai they prefer to speak Shanghainese. In Shenzhen although they speak Cantonese, Mandarin is widely spoken. That "southern mandarin" version, without abuse of ending "r"s is more close to "practical" Chinese.

I used to see arguing in the streets all the time in Beijing. One time traffic was backed up near Wangfujing for hours until cops came to break up arguing in front of a (yes) public bus trying to move on but it couldn't.

Hi everyone

thanks for the sharing about Beijing, Shanghai, and ShenZhen. It's great to know.

Anyone has info about ShenZhen Universities offering Chinese language courses...tons of info about Beijing and Shanghai Unis but surprisingly hardly anything on ShenZhen..I wonder why?

tons of info about Beijing and Shanghai Unis but surprisingly hardly anything on ShenZhen..I wonder why?

Probably because Beijing and Shanghai are far more popular destinations for students. The lack of information on Shenzhen in itself tells you that relatively few people go there to study Chinese. It might be a big city, but there's relatively little there to attract foreign students. I don't remember meeting any foreign students in my time there, though I expect there are some. I guess a lot of the students there might be family members of people who have been expatriated to Shenzhen, looking for something to do during the day time. If you go to Shenzhen, you can certainly expect a much smaller population of foreign students anyway.

Edit to say: have you looked at this http://lxs.szu.edu.cn/en/?lang=en? It's Shenzhen University's own page on its Chinese programmes for overseas students. It won't give you the point of view of students there, but it does have quite a bit of info.